Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions regarding paying off collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Questions regarding paying off collections

For starters, I am trying to get my credit score improved so that I can receive a lower interest rate when I purchase a new vehicle within the next year. My credit score is 609 as of this morning that is reported by TransUnion. I am well aware that this number will change FREQUENTLY! I am 26 years old and I have made a lot of poor choices when I was younger that has had an impact on my credit rating. In the last 5 years or so, I have been establishing credit and paying all my bills on time and regularly along with keeping balances down. With that being said, I am concerned with how to deal with collections on my reports. I had one of those secured pre-paid credit cards when I was STUPID and NEVER used it. When I cancelled it, I thought that would be the end of it, WRONG! Okay, so I paid it off AFTER it went to collections. But it is still on my credit report as paid. So now I'm curious as to whether or not to worry about the other collections. Will they also remain on my credit? Or is this the time to write one of those Pay For Delete letters?! Just so that you have a better understanding of what exactly I am wanting to deal with I am going to list what I owe below. Like I said before, I was stupid at one point like we all have been, so please don't be judgmental on this.

Collection opened 12/5/06 for $54

Collection opened 11/22/05 for $72

Collection opened 4/2/03 $291

Collection opened 5/9/02 for $136

Collection opened 2/12/02 for $80

Please keep in mind that these are ALL medical bills that have gone to collections. Some of them I wasn't even aware of going to collections until it was too late. I would get the bills and it would say that insurance was pending or if you have insurance disregard this letter kind of thing. I was under the impression that insurance was going to cover these expenses. Some of those collections are WAY older than what they are stating also. I was unaware that they could change the date opened date time and time again.

I have a charge account, credit card, note loan, unsecured loan, 3 note loans that are student loans, and a secured loan. All of which have been completely paid in full, never late, and/or still current and up to date with.

With all that being said and done, are those worth paying on if they will still stay on my credit. I know that these amounts are INCREDIBLY small amounts to have EVER gone to collections over. Any advice on this situation would be enormously appreciated! What else can I do to raise my credit rating?! I realize that some things just take time and this is definately one of those occassions.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Questions regarding paying off collections

Hi sarah, welcome to the forum! There's a wealth of information here, and many knowledgeable people here to help you get credit healthy.

Colldections from any source are majorly hurting your credit scores. The med collections, I've found are relatively easy to handle.

First of all, you need to find out exactly who still owns the account. The original creditor(OC), or the collection agency(CA).

Do NOT contact the collection agency at all. Do NOT talk to them on the phone. Contact the OC and visit with them. Do not commit to anything at this point.

I've been successful having 3 med collections deleted from my credit reports(CR's) by using a technique we call PFD(pay for delete). You negotiate with the OC to delete the collection from your CR IF you pay in full.

There are many examples of PFD letters here that others have used successfully. Type in the search box for PFD.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. The folks here are very friendly and helpful. I'm sure others will chime in and contribute their thoughts.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh crap I just mailed two PFD's this AM to the collection agency b/c when I was reading the sample letter it stated Collection Agency all through it so I though that is who I should mail it to.  Should I send some out tomorrow to the OC?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

glc, I don't think you'll get in any trouble with the CA, UNLESS it causes them to re-age the account. But I'd have no further contact with them, if the OC still owns the account.

IMHO, it can't hurt to start dealing with the OC. But that's my opinion.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I need to call the OC and see if they still own the account?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would if it were me. And if you do, do not commit to anything unless you are absolutely sure of what you are doing.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.