Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick AU Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick AU Question

I did several searches, but found conflicting and possibly outdated answers. I just have a couple quick questions about AUs.

1. Are both primary user's and AU's credit score affected by high util/lates on account when account is active? Or will this only affect primary user?

2. If an AU is removed from an account, will that account stay on AU's credit report as closed account, or will it fall off?

3. If AU is removed from account and AU's credit report still shows this on report as closed account... will that info affect AU's credit score (if closed with high util/lates)?

Thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Quick AU Question

@Anonymous wrote:

I did several searches, but found conflicting and possibly outdated answers. I just have a couple quick questions about AUs.

1. Are both primary user's and AU's credit score affected by high util/lates on account when account is active? Or will this only affect primary user? It will affect both of you and you dont want any AU account that has lates or is maxed out, what you want in these accounts are old hardly used accounts.

2. If an AU is removed from an account, will that account stay on AU's credit report as closed account, or will it fall off? It will show as terminated but if they keep the lates reporting on the AUs report you write the CRA and demand its removal as not responsible to pay the account.

3. If AU is removed from account and AU's credit report still shows this on report as closed account... will that info affect AU's credit score (if closed with high util/lates)? Yup

Thank you in advance!

Message 2 of 3
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Quick AU Question

@Anonymous wrote:

I did several searches, but found conflicting and possibly outdated answers.

Asking in a new thread doesn't mean that you won't continue to get conflicting and outdated information.  With anything on the internet you have to be able to consider your sources, validate, corroborate, etc.

@Anonymous wrote:

Are both primary user's and AU's credit score affected by high util/lates on account when account is active? Or will this only affect primary user?

In cases where an account where one is an AU is factored in the account is factored in just like any other account.  Accounts where one is an AU are not necessarily considered by all scoring models and creditors.  There are plenty of recent threads that state that when such an account is considered that being an AU is beneficial if the tradeline has positive payment history, low utilization, a longer age, etc.  If the account has high utilization and derogs associated with it then the account will not help.

@Anonymous wrote:

If an AU is removed from an account, will that account stay on AU's credit report as closed account, or will it fall off?

People have experienced both.  Some have been able to remove an account that remains by disputing.

@Anonymous wrote:

If AU is removed from account and AU's credit report still shows this on report as closed account... will that info affect AU's credit score (if closed with high util/lates)?

See my comment above on your first question.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.