Did you mean: 

Quizzle and Credit Karma

tag
Gray
Regular Contributor

Quizzle and Credit Karma

I signed up for Quizzle today.  They offer a " CE Credit Score"

From Wikipedia:

Other credit consumer scores are published by third party agencies such as "Community Empower" and "Quizzle" as the CE Score. The scores reported by such agencies are NOT actual FICO scores, but approximations based on proprietary algorithms. These scores are not sold to lenders and are never used to make lending decisions. They are sold only to consumers as an "educational" score."

I also signed up for Credit Karma which offers a TU Vantage score.

The standard Credit Score on CreditKarma is the TransRisk New Account Score provided by TransUnion. This risk score represents your liklihood of deliquency or non-payment of credit obligations. This score is based on information in your TransUnion credit report and ranges from 300 (minimum) to 850 (maximum). The score is calculated using TransUnion's proprietary model for assessing the credit risk of existing accounts and was constructed using a selected group of factors drawn from your credit records at TransUnion.

It looks like Credit Karma is producing a score consistent with the FICO score.  It's pretty close.  The Quizzle score was way, way, out of there.  Quizzle was also pushing their products and per their privacy policy, they WILL share your information with all their affiliate companies.  I changed my email and requested account deletion.

So if anyone is looking for a decent site (in addition to MyFico--which I've used since 2007), consider giving Credit Karma a shot.  Pretty decent.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Quizzle and Credit Karma

I can't speak to Quizzle since you can only pull twice a year w/out paying for more scores and since we can't buy our own EX FICO from anywhere there's no way to accurately compare. However, CreditKarma offers two different scores: Vantage and TransRisk. The Vantage is on a range from 501-990 and the TransRisk is misadvertised on their site and that's from 350-850 as opposed to 300 (300-850 is a registered mark or trademark of FICO and can't be used by anyone else). I have pulled my FICO simultaneously as my TransRisk from CK. My score is consistently about 60 points off when pulled the exact same day as the TU FICO from here. DW's FICO runs about 100 points higher on a consistent basis than the TransRisk from CK. Prior to getting until down, my TransRisk was actually higher than my FICO but it's certainly switched. Your TransRisk factors in items that FICO does not like their calc of AAoA, they factor in inquiries for 2 years vs. FICO's one year, and so on.

Message 2 of 11
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Quizzle is Experian and Credit Karma is TU. Both are quite a bit lower than my "real" scores. My Quizzle has been stuck at 736 for a year. Actually they scored me 736 with a soon to be dropped BK7 still showing last April. This weekend's pull showed 736 while PSECU a real FICO scored me at 787.

Credit Karma has me pegged at 766 for nearly a year. My TU FICO 98 has fluctuated between 785-801 for the past 6 months or so. 

Basically all of thes FAKO scores are for entertainment purposes. I am beginning to get the same feeling about TU 98. I get a free EX from PSECU and spring for the discount EQ Scorewatch $69.95 annually. Those two are enough. 

Message 3 of 11
Gray
Regular Contributor

More info to come. Will clarify below.

Message 4 of 11
Gray
Regular Contributor

Credit Karma has the Trans Risk Score **and** the Vantage Score.

http://www.spendonlife.com/page/credit-score-range-comparison

My scores:

Quizzle (CE Score): 694  (350 to 850)

Credit Karma (Trans Risk): 801  (300 to 850)

Credit Karma (Vantage): 920  (501 to 990)

MyFico: 800  (300-850)

Message 5 of 11
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Both Quizzle and CreditKarma offer FAKO scores that have no relevance to actual FICO scores. CK is nice in the sense that it offers a daily puller to see changes in your report (i.e. new inquiry, utilization percentage increase/decrease), and quizzle is nice for a full EX report, but ignore the scores. They are meaningless and there is no known correlation between any of them.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually found Credit Karma to be way off on my score.  When I requested my TransUnion score from MyFico, the real FICO score was 58 points higher than the score reported by Credit Karma.  I guess it all depends on the items in your report. 

Message 7 of 11
Gray
Regular Contributor

It's just another credit score trendline produced using a similar (yet different) methodology to FICO. It should correspond to FICO except for differences in the weightings and data sets against which they apply their respective methodologies.

Since Credit Karma appears to have a sound privacy policy and it's free, why not.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gray wrote:

It's just another credit score trendline produced using a similar (yet different) methodology to FICO. It should correspond to FICO except for differences in the weightings and data sets against which they apply their respective methodologies. 

Right.  Well put.  These are exactly the reasons to ignore non-FICO scores including the CreditKarumba scores.  They're different

When a FICO goes up, a FAKO can go down, stay the same, or go up.

When a FICO goes down, a FAKO can go up, stay the same, or go down.

When a FICO stays the same, a FAKO can go up, go down, or stay the same.

In addition, following the FAKO advice that comes with FAKO scores can and does damage FICO scores.

Since Credit Karma appears to have a sound privacy policy and it's free, why not. 

IME and IMO, It can be a useful tool for pulling your reports to track certain changes in them.  I find other sources more accurate so I don't use CK much.  It contains misleading information and groups data differently than FICO does.

In any case, ignore the scores.  And the advice.

Message 9 of 11
Gray
Regular Contributor

Like the implied advice that folks with 800+ scores have 21+ cards?  Ludicrous.

Even the bum on the corner may have worthwhile advice now and then, but you don't need to take what he says too seriously.

"The mantra for getting a great score is pay your bills on time, keep account balances low, and take out new credit only when you need it," says Craig Watts, consumer affairs manager for Fair Isaac Corp. "People who do that faithfully have very high scores. It usually means you're being conservative and cautious about credit. It's not a toy and it shouldn't be a hobby."

Wow. looking at your signature line, that certainly isn't the approach taken by many of the people in the credit card forum.  This has been my philosophy, and nothing I've seen elsewhere has convinced me to think otherwise.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.