cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RENTING: What report would a landlord pull?

tag
kroberts67
Established Contributor

RENTING: What report would a landlord pull?

Would a potential lanlord pull a special type of report for landlords, or do they pull all 3 typically, or a FICO of their choice...  just curious if there's something in addition to the 3 bureau's i need to check up on?

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

Re: RENTING: What report would a landlord pull?

My public records were searched for evictions or legal action from renting, I believe the rental application provides the agency (or type of agency - Credit Report, Public Records search, etc) they use for applicants.

Message 2 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Mine used a Tenant Screening Service to check credit, scores and background.

Message 3 of 14
kk627
New Contributor

I pull reports for renters and purchasers. We pull all three reports and FICO scores, and do a criminal check and eviction check. Sometimes, we also do an employment verifiction.

Message 4 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

And possibly a Checksystems credit report on adverse banking information.

That would include bounced checks, etc.

Message 5 of 14
SharonLea

The tenant applications I've seen all ask for employment information, salary, and the most recent payroll stubs. What should I do if I'm retired and don't have this sort of information? There's no space on the application that asks about savings and investments, which will be my primary source of income.

Message 6 of 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@SharonLea wrote:

The tenant applications I've seen all ask for employment information, salary, and the most recent payroll stubs. What should I do if I'm retired and don't have this sort of information? There's no space on the application that asks about savings and investments, which will be my primary source of income.

Welcome!

I'd talk to the landlord and explain your situation at the time of your application. You can also get away with putting down any earnings or interest from those savings and investments. If you are systematically withdrawing the money from retirement I'm sure you can put that down too.

Message 7 of 14
scotbe

Do you have any suggestions for a family who recently moved to a new city and can't find anyone who will rent to them because of their credit rating? They never had this problem in their previous city; however, they had to move because of a job transfer (promotion and raise for husband). Wife has recently been unemployed so has gone back to school. I don't know their financial particulars; I don't think they use credit cards much (maybe scant history is part of problem), but they probably had difficulty paying student loans. Except for a few weeks house-sitting, they've been living for months in a motel with four school-age children; furniture, toys, etc., in storage. Pretty rough!

Message 8 of 14
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

When I rent out my property, I do a Past Address Tenant History, which I compare to the applicant's application.

I also do a criminal history / background check

And I do a credit check. I use a service that does not provide me with their actual report, rather it provides me with a summary and a Grade.. as well as recommendations on whether to rent or not rent.

On deciding whether to rent vs. not rent, I take their recommendation as a suggestion, but then go with my gut based on the merits of their application (such as employment, rental history, income) as well as the other resources provided (tenant history report, criminal report).

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 14
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@scotbe wrote:

Do you have any suggestions for a family who recently moved to a new city and can't find anyone who will rent to them because of their credit rating? They never had this problem in their previous city; however, they had to move because of a job transfer (promotion and raise for husband). Wife has recently been unemployed so has gone back to school. I don't know their financial particulars; I don't think they use credit cards much (maybe scant history is part of problem), but they probably had difficulty paying student loans. Except for a few weeks house-sitting, they've been living for months in a motel with four school-age children; furniture, toys, etc., in storage. Pretty rough!

If they will find a rental home via rent.com, craigslist, or other resource that is owned and managed by an individual vs. a company, they may be able to negotiate a lease with terms that are acceptable to the owner and to your family member. This may include making a substantial deposit with the owner...

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.