Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Inquiry?

tag
DomLS3
Regular Contributor

Re: Random Inquiry?

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah its not allowing me to dispute the inquiry.
How do i set up fraud alert? That sounds like it will help

You have to dispute it directly with the credit agency that it reported on. So, if the pull was from Experian, you'd need to login to Experian or call them and dispute the inquiry directly with them.

EQ: 807 | TU: 823 | EX: 817
Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

http://www.transunion.com/fraud-victim-resource/place-fraud-alert

https://www.experian.com/fraud/center.html

http://www.equifax.com/CreditReportAssistance/

Find the "set up fraud alert" (or similar language) button somewhere on each of these 3 websites. Most lenders will comply and call you if you (or someone) apply for credit or ask for a CLI.

I am not sure what do you mean by "it". Probably the bank? Many here might disagree, but I suggest also file a dispute with the credit report agency.

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah its not allowing me to dispute the inquiry.
How do i set up fraud alert? That sounds like it will help

Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

And the inquiry was reported through trans union, and a dispute with them was recently completed from removing a closed collection.

They arent allowing me to dispute the inquiry.

And i will go to those websites now, thank you very much.

Message 13 of 28
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@DomLS3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I do not have a diners club card, nor do i have anything to do with this bank.
Im not sure why this inquiry showed up.
Any suggestions as to what i should do?

Call that bank and ask them why they pulled your credit and that you didn't authorize it. You might have fallen victim to identity theft. I'd dispute the inquiry asap as well.

^ This... and have them remove it !

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you.

And the inquiry was reported through trans union, and a dispute with them was recently completed from removing a closed collection.

They arent allowing me to dispute the inquiry.

And i will go to those websites now, thank you very much.

I wish you the best of luck.

It's really fortunate that you have credit monitoring, caught the inquiry early and took actions immediately. If you want to take extra steps to safe guard yourself from identity theft, you can freeze all three reports (which cost money to freeze and unfreeze). That will do the trick, at least for the credit aspect of life. But I wouldn't do that yet unless there are more inquiries coming.

Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely place that fraud alert.   But don't freak out just yet.  It could be a simple mistake on someone's part.  Your ss# could be 1 digit off from someone with a similar name.  Not a frequent occurrence.  But it does happen.

Message 16 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

The thing is.. 

The inquiry shows up here and only here.

I opened credit karma, no inquiry.

I placed fraud protection through TransUnion and was able to view my updated credit report, no inquiry there either.

I cannot find any information on the inquiry other than on here, where it only gives the date (Dec. 16th) and the name. Nothing else.

It didnt even effect my Fico score, which is confusing.

But for now, ive placed the fraud alert with TransUnion, and I've been informed that the information was received at Equifax and Experian as well.

I just dont understand this.

Message 17 of 28
DomLS3
Regular Contributor

Credit Karma most likely does not get updates as quickly or accurately as MyFico (hence why CK is considered a FAKO).

Don't trust ANYTHING you see or don't see on Credit Karma. If you've already verified that the inquiry isn't on your TransUnion report (I would suggest calling them to verify.... their website may not be updated yet), then I would call MyFico and tell them that you see an inquiry alert on your profile, but your actual credit report through the Credit Agency doesn't show it. They will probably tell you just to call them since there's "nothing they can do about it" but you may be able to see if there's been some kind of glitch or technical error within MyFico.

EQ: 807 | TU: 823 | EX: 817
Message 18 of 28
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Before raising a rucus or assuming it is fraud, I suggest you call them.

There are types of inquiries permitted under the FCRA that require no association of the inquiree with the consumer.

FCRA 604(3)(E) permits, for example, an inquiry by a party who

"intends to use the information, as a potential investor or servicer, or current insurer, in connection with a valuation of, or an assessment of the credit or prepayment risks associated with, an existing credit obligation"

Message 19 of 28
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The thing is.. 

The inquiry shows up here and only here.

The 3 CRA's are the official record.  Verify by pulling reports directly from each CRA.  Do not just rely on services like myFICO, CK, etc.

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.