Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-Aging Issue

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re-Aging Issue

Hello, Last month, I checked my credit report and I noticed that a collection agency (Portfolio Recovery Services) had "re-aged" an old debt from Capital One Bank. They reported that my debt from 2003 was new on 10/2007. I, of course, disputed that claim. Well, they deleted the capital one bank and left the collection agencie's claim. They still show the date placed for collection as 10/2007, and estimated date for removal on 5/2010. What I am having an issue with is this was a debt placed for collection back in 2003. How can they show that it was placed on 10/2007? It has now made my FICO score drop since this happened. Any suggestions as to how I can fix this? The CR agency is Trans Union. Thanks Steve
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Re-Aging Issue

spain246 wrote:
Hello, Last month, I checked my credit report and I noticed that a collection agency (Portfolio Recovery Services) had "re-aged" an old debt from Capital One Bank. They reported that my debt from 2003 was new on 10/2007. I, of course, disputed that claim. Well, they deleted the capital one bank and left the collection agencie's claim. They still show the date placed for collection as 10/2007, and estimated date for removal on 5/2010. What I am having an issue with is this was a debt placed for collection back in 2003. How can they show that it was placed on 10/2007? It has now made my FICO score drop since this happened. Any suggestions as to how I can fix this? The CR agency is Trans Union. Thanks Steve

Was it date opened that shows the 10/2007 date?

From the estimated date of removal you are listing, it doesn't appear they have re-aged. They can list the date opened as the date they get the account.

Your FICO dropped b/c you have a new collection. Portfolio is reporting a collection account that they had never reported before, thus it is a new collection on your credit report, even though it is from years ago.

Just because the OC placed the account for collections in 2003, doesn't mean it was bought at that time by Portfolio.

Is SOL up? You need to DV portfolio if so. If it isn't and you are prepared to pay, then you need to DV. If they validate, you send PFD. If they don't validate then you can get it deleted.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.