cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: will closing my youngest card actually improve my score?

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 11 of 16
notfancy
Valued Contributor

That is a really nice thread. Thank you for bringing it to attention, Lexie!

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 12 of 16
user5387
Valued Contributor

@wiivile wrote:

I'm not sure if opening this new card actually helped or hurt my score in the end. It nearly doubled my overall credit limit, but reduced my average age of accounts from 4 years to 1.5 years (not to mention the hard pull).

I don't see how opening a single card can reduce AAoA from 4 years to 1.5 years.

In the worst case, if you have a single card with a 4-year history, and open another one, then the AAoA would be 2 years.  If you open two cards, then the AAoA would be 1.3 years.

If an account is deleted, then the AAoA can jump around in an arbitrary way.

Message 13 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I agree.  If you have AAoA of 4 years and open another one, your AAoA would be 2.5 years rounded down to 2.

Message 14 of 16
user5387
Valued Contributor

I believe that if you have an AAoA of 4 years across N cards, then adding another will reduce the AAoA to:

(4 * N) / (N + 1)

If N = 1, then the new AAoA will be 2.0, and if N = 10, the new AAoA will be 3.6.

Message 15 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If you have one card that is 48 months and add another one that is 1 month that is 49 months.  Divide that by the number of cards and it is 24.5 months.  Since AAoA is rounded down, it would be 24 months.

If you have one that is 48 months and add another that is 0 that would be 24 months.

You count all the months from the date opened.  If it equals a month you add it, if it doesn't equal 1 month you add 0.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.