Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really American Express?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really American Express?

Why is American Express soft pulling my credit report every month. I don't owe them and I have never applied. Your thoughts please
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Really American Express?

They're probably looking to send you offers.
Message 2 of 13
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Why is American Express soft pulling my credit report every month. I don't owe them and I have never applied. Your thoughts please

Cheking if they can make you an offer depending of your credit profile!!

Starting Score:EX: 713 EQ: 698
Message 3 of 13
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

+1

Message 4 of 13
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

You are seeing soft pulls. No effect on your score. Unless you opt out, they can check it. If you start seeing hard pulls then you need to worry if you are not apping them.

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 5 of 13
wa3more
Established Contributor

see if the pull code is PMR i believe which is promotional. If not there is a problem.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

No impact on score, and yet...

Who authorized them to view the OP's private and confidential information?

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

This may help folks understand how promotional or "pre-screened" soft inquiries work, and why they can appear even when you have never had any dealings with a CC issuer before. 

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/prescreened-offers-promotional-inquiry-score.php

Message 8 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The so-called promotional inquiry procedure only provides the creditor with a listing of consumers who meet their specified screening criteria.

It does not entitle them to a full credit report that contains any account specific information, and it must by statute be recorded as a soft inquiry.

See FCRA 604(c).

Do they ever follow up by sending you an unsolicited offer for credit based on your name being included in a listing they obtained from a CRA?

If not, that is an indicatiion that the screening done by the CRA does not find that you meet the criteria stated by the creditor in requesting the listing.

If so, that indicates that your file meets the screening criteria submitted to the CRA.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I object to the release of my name and address?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.