cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really, Is CO with Providian an automatic Blacklisting with wamu?

tag
Eric958
Established Contributor

Really, Is CO with Providian an automatic Blacklisting with wamu?

If so at least I won't waist an inq.

Never Give Up!!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Really, Is CO with Providian an automatic Blacklisting with wamu?

I didn't know WAMU had purchased Providian (I went bankrupt with Providian). I applied for a card last year and was turned down due to the Providian account.    It was an automatic turndown for me.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if a providian charge of is an automatic blacklist with WaMu.  How long ago did  you get charged off.  WaMu only bought certain accounts while others were sold to other banks, they also sold some additional accounts after the take over to a subprime lending outfit.

Go to www.whogavemecredit.com and search Washington Mutual or WaMu and compare the credit scores and toher factors for people with cards from your state.  It should even give you the bureau they pulled.  If your scores on that bureau meet or exceed their recent approvals, it wouldn't hurt to apply.  One inquiry is not going to hurt your score all that much unless you already have several in the past 6 mos.  That in itself is enough to get you dc'd for a lot of cards.
Message 3 of 11
Eric958
Established Contributor

I think it was back in 2000 or 2002 I'm not @ home so I can't access the info but it was one of my first PFD's before I knew what a PFD was! I remember that I made arrangements with whoever the collection comp was oh yeah it was Wolpoff & assoc's!I paid in full over a 6 mth period between 2000 & 2003 now that I think about it. I'm down to 6 inq'q on EQ plus 8 on EX but I've opened 5 new acct's within the last 6 mth's as I had no TL to speak of before then. now 5 cc's and 2 installs. avg 566 in Jan 07 - avg 640 Aug 07.
I think I need to get rid of Aspen and Orchard for higher cl cards. cccu is my highest.

Eric!

Never Give Up!!
Message 4 of 11
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I had a charge off from HSBC in 2002 and they issued me an Orchard Bank mastercard and a Direct Rewards Discover card, so they might not deny you.
Here we go again...
Message 5 of 11
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

WAMU and Merrick Bank both will blacklist if you have a CO previously.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay it is possible that WaMu is completely unaware of te CO.  They bought accounts that met certain scores, if your account didn't met there scores, they probably don't have you on their radar.  Other accounts were sold to lessthan savory companies.  An inquiry isnot going to cost you many points, however, are you shopping for a lower interest rate or what?

If so it wouldn't hurt to try it.  any impact from an inquiry qill be minimal after about 6 mos
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a Providian charge off in 2000. Tried for WaMu and got letter declining me for the CO. Called CSR, she told me that I am pretty much permanently blacklisted until further notice.

So, yeah - you could have 850 fico, but WaMu's memory is long.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Phouchg wrote:
I had a Providian charge off in 2000. Tried for WaMu and got letter declining me for the CO. Called CSR, she told me that I am pretty much permanently blacklisted until further notice.

So, yeah - you could have 850 fico, but WaMu's memory is long.

Thanks for the clarification...  Sorry.  Well you heard it from someone who has been there.  and it reminds me to never let my WaMu charge off

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a Providian  that chareged off in 2001.  I have had a checking account with WAMU for six years.  Last year the tellers would tell me when I made a deposit that I was pre-approved for a WAMU card.  After a few times I decided to try for one--denied because of Providian account.  Their letter said that they did not do a hard pull and inquirey would not show up on my credit report, however, it shows up on TU as a pull December15.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.