Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasons you tell your CC company for CLI

tag
RED_Knives
Valued Member

Reasons you tell your CC company for CLI

I have a options when telling my CC company what is the reason for the CLI.

Personally I would like it to just increase overall card limit to decrease my util in the long run. I will keep my balances the same, just so I can have a decent moderatly low balance while at the same time keeping that credit line avalible for when I might really need it. Recently I needed to purchase equipment for business activity but don't seem to see any such catagory here on the Discover It page, perhaps its time to go to a business card. 

My options are,

balance transfer

cash advance

medical bills

travel

other(major purchase)

avoid future over limit

reinstate previous creditline

which option would yeild the highest credit increase. of course all of them are legit but wouldn't some people statistically be denied for some while being approved for others? some have to yeild better results? i guess perhaps at this point its hard to tell. 

I would only pick other or avoid future over limit, but even those don't make sense to me as I would hardly buy anything ever so even a major purchase seems kind of meh, on the other hand i guess it could be good for equipment purchases down the road. and if pick avoid future over limit does that make me seem dangerous because im willing to take on more debt with that kind of mind set? obviously if a person want to avoid and over limit there probably gonna rack a lot of debt up right? So I shouldn't pick that one T_T...

Starting Score: 651
Current Score: 730
Goal Score: 800

Credit Cards and Credit Limits: Barclay 7250, AMEX 2000, Discover 6250, Cap OnePlat 3000, BestBuy 3000, Chase 3500, Paypal 4300, Walmart 1000, BOA 2000, Kohls 800, Target RED 500, Les Schwab 500, TOTAL 34900 OldestAc1.8 years
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Reasons you tell your CC company for CLI

@RED_Knives wrote:

I have a options when telling my CC company what is the reason for the CLI.

Personally I would like it to just increase overall card limit to decrease my util in the long run. I will keep my balances the same, just so I can have a decent moderatly low balance while at the same time keeping that credit line avalible for when I might really need it. Recently I needed to purchase equipment for business activity but don't seem to see any such catagory here on the Discover It page, perhaps its time to go to a business card. 

My options are,

balance transfer

cash advance

medical bills

travel

other(major purchase)

avoid future over limit

reinstate previous creditline

which option would yeild the highest credit increase. of course all of them are legit but wouldn't some people statistically be denied for some while being approved for others? some have to yeild better results? i guess perhaps at this point its hard to tell. 

I would only pick other or avoid future over limit, but even those don't make sense to me as I would hardly buy anything ever so even a major purchase seems kind of meh, on the other hand i guess it could be good for equipment purchases down the road. and if pick avoid future over limit does that make me seem dangerous because im willing to take on more debt with that kind of mind set? obviously if a person want to avoid and over limit there probably gonna rack a lot of debt up right? So I shouldn't pick that one T_T...

In the situations where I've actually talked to someone at the card issuer, I almost always say "planning to travel internationally in the future" as the reason for the CLI.  That's netted me some good increases, since most CSR's know that international travel can be expensive depending on the destination.  I've also used the utility situation, that works as well.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Reasons you tell your CC company for CLI

I would emphasize convenience in not carrying cash, flexiblity in spending, etc. rather than improvijng your % util.

Those are business reasons that also benefit them. They want you to use the CL up to reasonable amounts.

Granting a CLI to reduce % util in credit scoring shows that you most likely dont intend to use the credit limit, and thus is for a reason that does not necessaril benefit them.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.