Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilders, be careful on this thread

tag
907grown
Established Contributor

Rebuilders, be careful on this thread

hey fellow rebuilders!

just wanted to remind rebuilders to be careful when reading through this thread. It is very easy to get caught up in the excitement of yours and others approvals. I am certainly not saying that I think this is a bad thread, I just know for those of us who have hit bottom and are determined not to again, getting all these approvals can make you completely unintentionally fall back into some old bad habits.

i almost did. I have gotten 15 card approvals since closing on my home 1 year ago today. I have cut up all but 3 of those cards and have paid off everything except two 0 interest cards. 

It is easier to have the intention to pay the balance in full every month then it proves to be some months.

just be careful and keep your head up!!

Starting Score: 460
Current Score: EQ 764, TU 764, EX 740,
BOA AK AIR 30,000, Discover IT 6300, Freedom 25,300, Barclays RMC 15,660, Ring 15,000, BCE 15,000, QS17,000,AARP 15,000, ChaseFU 8,000,AND A LOT MORE!
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Spotsy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rebuilders, be careful on this thread

+1.  YES YES YES...thank you for posting this...absolutely correct.  Credit is a necessity in today's world...but like everything else, it requires self control....just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something. Having 2 or 3 cards is plenty for most.  If you get a new card...close one out.  Or don't apply for new cards...just focus on growing what you have.  

FICO 8: TU:831 / EQ:837 / EX:827 as of 12/25/2023
Message 2 of 15
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

One shouldn't get caught up in the excitement of approvals but number of cards is a highly subjective matter and for each to determine.  Card selection should be carefully considered and based on one's specific needs/wants.  Budgeting and sticking to a budget is a must.

Message 3 of 15
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

One shouldn't get caught up in the excitement of approvals but number of cards is a highly subjective matter and for each to determine.  Card selection should be carefully considered and based on one's specific needs/wants.  Budgeting and sticking to a budget is a must.

OP... please pardon my indulgence for the following rant - thanx.

I'd like to expound upon the above mentioned comments. I've previously avoided this subject matter (purposely) but reading thru this post I now feel compelled to (somewhat) address it. To this extent I'm going to state the following and hopefully wont hav need to broach the subject again (no promises however).

First, there absolutely IS such a thing as 'too many cards'. It has been thrown around this board much and is both naive & misleading. I would simply prefer that ppl sharing this belief state that theres no such thing as 'too many' for themselves instead of inducing it as a mantra for general consumption. If you're rebuilding or new to credit I say this.... do not buy n2 this falsehood - bcuz thats exactly what it is. Not to mention the obvious - that too much of ANYTHING is considered unhealthy.

Furthermore there are those operating under a false assumption that by simply managing these hefty cards responsibly that they hav somehow insulated themselves from financial harm (or AA) which again, is also untrue. AA (adverse action) doesnt just happen as a result of willful neglect or negative extremism.

I've stated previously on this board how even when individuals hav managed their credit responsibly that they can & hav been nonetheless subject to a variety of AA. None of us is immune. Yes... do all U can to protect yourself but one shouldnt fool themselves n2 believing that it still cant happen regardless. Unfortunately ppl will only see what they want to see until the harshness of life smacks them square in the face for an all too abrupt reality check. No prob here. But still, misleading others with rhetoric of "no such thing as too much" or "as long as I'm responsible all is okay" is simply wrong.

Another similarly misguided effort on this board has to do with approvals in the form of so-called 'app addiction/rehab' posts. Though well meaning they are nonetheless misguided. First off, few if any here is truly addicted in such a manner. I know addictive behavior. As I said, ppl tend to loosely throw out terms without fully considering the implications or the 'appropriate' applications thereof. Having an affinity to app doesnt mean U are addicted.

Like a child acquiring a new toy U may become temporarily fascinated and that may continue awhile until the next fascination comes along or when the tides of change occur. Being enamored, infatuated, engrossed or even obsessed (which is probably more closely aligned as far as terminology - an 'unhealthy obsession' of sorts) does not qualify as an addiction.

@Furthermore addictions are rooted in issues having little to do with the actual object of said addiction. The object itself is merely the manifestation of the underlying, often deep-seated concern which has yet to be resolved - totally different from someone with an app compulsion. Trust... IF anyone was really addicted to apping they wouldnt find relief on a credit board of this type despite 'app rehab posts' to the contrary. And to the extent that anyone 'is' helped only proves that @ best addiction most likely WASNT involved. That said, if U fear u may be subject to an unhealthy compulsion to app incessantly, please take note of the following....

**To illustrate I'll use alcoholism as an example to make my point**

@I'm moderating a group of recovering addicts and @ the end of one of the meetings I state that the following meeting is to be held in the center of 'ACMEs Bar & Grill'. I go on to state that they will be surrounded not only by alcohol of all kinds but servers of alcohol, patrons of alcohol, the smell of alcohol and likely... drunken alcoholic behavior. Now despite all this.... I then conclude that the members completely ignore all of the above and focus only on the purpose/intent for them meeting there which is.... resolving to recover from their alcoholism.

***Allowing for analogy to sink in.............................***

When stated like this quite naturally it sounds silly bcuz no one with common sense would do it. And yet by comparison thats the general logic of an app recovery post within a vast sea of posts that include app sprees, ppl boasting of 50+, 70+ and more cc's, 20k/30k approvals, 10k plus CLIs and of course rhetoric of "theres no such thing as too many cc's" as a means of dealing with supposed addiction (ie: compulsion). One doesnt partake in activities or frequent venues that feed n2 addictive behavior.

Not totally discounting such a post's relevance but I'll maintain the ONLY way it works - (insomuch as 'true' addiction is concerned) is if the post in ? is attached to a site whose 'sole' purpose is dedicated to assisting those who are recovering. Thats the only validity such a post would then carry.

So I said all of that to say this....

If U feel a serious compulsion to app for credit or engage in extensive app sprees or essentially anything constituting unhealthy credit-like behavior then.... this is NOT the place U should be. At minimum, as has been suggested by other members, one needs to take a break from these type sites altogether for awhile.

@There are those who may hav gotten to a point in the credit game where they can deviate off script and introduce schemes n2 their personal strategies or perhaps hav stronger profiles to support unorthodox methods but @ least call it what it is and not promote it as normalcy or something someone new to the game should be tempted n2 emulating.

@Understand that this board doesnt simply exist to facilitate one's own personal need for acknowledgement, acceptance, praise and/or self indulgence. The responsibility herein should be to the masses @ large who need and deserve the best advice possible by all of us helping one another establish a strong working foundation and understanding of how the credit game works.

That advice will vary somewhat from person to person and I find that to be a necessarily healthy & productive thing. But theres also a fine line that some seem to hav little problem crossing when eliciting advice with cavalier and curt responses that appears to serve ego more than anything else.

Yes anyone here has a right to say (pretty much) whatever they want - that much goes without saying. So what? Words just like actions do carry consequences. My position on the matter is simply this..... be mindful of the things u say.

My diatribe is done. Thanx again OP.

I now return U to your regularly scheduled posting.

Message 4 of 15
Spotsy
Frequent Contributor

@existentialist
Very nice post...very cool that you took the time to write such detail and insight into a response!

My favorite phrase "understanding how the credit game works"... Cause it is a game!

-IMHO of course!
FICO 8: TU:831 / EQ:837 / EX:827 as of 12/25/2023
Message 5 of 15
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

Pardon my indulgence once more OP (a few final thoughts to share)

But first... (targeted response)

I cant really concern myself with what one 'chooses' to believe while making off-handed remarks on unrelated posts - what I know is this...

Is it possible to be addicted to app'ing for credit? Well, clearly 'anything' is possible... but nonetheless whether one chooses to acknowledge or agree with my assessment matters not - as the possibility of such is still.... remote @ best (given that the threshold in meeting the burden of proof goes beyond the simple 'act' of excessive app'ing - so that the ? then becomes how else does one truly discern 'addiction'?).

Engaging in linear type thinking can often impair objectivity. 

Just bcuz someone SAYS they are addicted doesnt mean that they are. And just bcuz someone THINKS they may be, also doesnt mean that they are.

*And for that matter, sorry to inform but Google... isnt always accurate - try Googling the Civil War for instance, as some still believe that war was predicated on states rights.... so if one is more inclined to believe what they 'choose' to, well.... U follow where this is going*

I'll reiterate what I stated in my previous thread: ppl tend to throw out terms without considering the implications or appropriate applications thereof. And again, I know addictive behaviors. Unless anyone is willing to engage in a discussion interpreting the underlying causes of such, I wont be entertaining generalized speculation (or off-handed comments) to the contrary.

However lets say for the sake of argument that every person herein who stated they were addicted, actually was (as unlikely as that is mind U) - how would that in any way negate or diminish the general idea put forth which was..... this isnt the forum to resolve addictions? Attempting to discredit one (minor) point doesnt detract from the signature theme that was being promulgated (ergo: linear thinking).

If one believes otherwise (and they are certainly entitled to do so) then I'm fine agreeing to disagree esp. since I've previously laid out the foundation for MY reasoning and as such find little purpose in revisiting the point. I can respect well reasoned opposing points of view when presented logically but not blind slights proffered in unrelated posts - thanx anyway.

And honestly.... the acknowledgement of a 'genuine' app-addiction would merely strengthen my position - not weaken it.

I believe the majority herein have legitimate concerns and are forthcoming in their desire for improving their understanding of the credit game. However occassionally.....

There are those claiming to be addicted or those supposedly seeking advice for nonexistent problems, those of ill-will seeking to manipulate the system and subsequently undermine (or attempt to) the integrity of the forum under the guise of establishing better credit, and other disingenuous reasons....

That said, please consider this: If help is what one is truly committed to extending to others herein; exactly how is that possible if there is never any thought given n2 determining the veracity of someone's situation?

No response required - merely food for thought.

Moving on.

Message 6 of 15
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

@Existentialist wrote:

I cant really concern myself with what one 'chooses' to believe while making off-handed remarks on unrelated posts - what I know is this...

@Anonymous it possible to be addicted to app'ing for credit? Well, clearly 'anything' is possible... but nonetheless whether one chooses to acknowledge or agree with my assessment matters not - as the possibility of such is still.... remote @ best (given that the threshold in meeting the burden of proof goes beyond the simple 'act' of excessive app'ing - so that the ? then becomes how else does one truly discern 'addiction'?).

Just bcuz someone SAYS they are addicted doesnt mean that they are. And just bcuz someone THINKS they may be, also doesnt mean that they are.

*And for that matter, sorry to inform but Google... isnt always accurate - try Googling the Civil War for instance, as some still believe that war was predicated on states rights.... so if one is more inclined to believe what they 'choose' to, well.... U follow where this is going*

I'll reiterate what I stated in my previous thread: ppl tend to throw out terms without considering the implications or appropriate applications thereof. And again, I know addictive behaviors. Unless anyone is willing to engage in a discussion interpreting the underlying causes of such, I wont be entertaining generalized speculation (or off-handed comments) to the contrary.

However lets say for the sake of argument that every person herein who stated they were addicted, actually was (as unlikely as that is mind U) - how would that in any way negate or diminish the general idea put forth which was..... this isnt the forum to resolve addictions? Attempting to discredit one (minor) point doesnt detract from the signature theme that was being promulgated (ergo: linear thinking).

If one believes otherwise (and they are certainly entitled to do so) then I'm fine agreeing to disagree esp. since I've previously laid out the foundation for MY reasoning and as such find little purpose in revisiting the point. I can respect well reasoned opposing points of view when presented logically but not blind slights proffered in unrelated posts - thanx anyway.

And honestly.... the acknowledgement of a 'genuine' app-addiction would merely strengthen my position - not weaken it.

I believe the majority herein have legitimate concerns and are forthcoming in their desire for improving their understanding of the credit game. However occassionally.....

There are those claiming to be addicted or those supposedly seeking advice for nonexistent problems, those of ill-will seeking to manipulate the system and subsequently undermine (or attempt to) the integrity of the forum under the guise of establishing better credit, and other disingenuous reasons....

That said, please consider this: If help is what one is truly committed to extending to others herein; exactly how is that possible if there is never any thought given n2 determining the veracity of someone's situation?

Moving on.

For the benefit of us aging folks, would you please post in a larger font?  Your posts are extremely difficult to read for the age-enhanced visually impaired.  Thanks!  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 15
CaliCreditCrazy
Established Member

@907grown wrote:

hey fellow rebuilders!

just wanted to remind rebuilders to be careful when reading through this thread. It is very easy to get caught up in the excitement of yours and others approvals. I am certainly not saying that I think this is a bad thread, I just know for those of us who have hit bottom and are determined not to again, getting all these approvals can make you completely unintentionally fall back into some old bad habits.

i almost did. I have gotten 15 card approvals since closing on my home 1 year ago today. I have cut up all but 3 of those cards and have paid off everything except two 0 interest cards. 

It is easier to have the intention to pay the balance in full every month then it proves to be some months.

Well said, 907grown.  I appreciate the advice you are offering to this community.  Any cry for help deserves to be taken at face value, and supportive words such as yours are very important to those who believe that they have a problem. 

Starting scores: Around 519 (Pulled for auto loan in 2009)
Current FICO8: EQ 667 / TU 793 / EX 643
Credit Karma Vantage 3.0: TU 748 / EQ 701
Credit.com Vantage 3.0: TU 694 EX 704
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CaliCreditCrazy wrote:

@907grown wrote:

hey fellow rebuilders!

Well said, 907grown.  I appreciate the advice you are offering to this community.  Any cry for help deserves to be taken at face value, and supportive words such as yours are very important to those who believe that they have a problem. 

Yes, well said...

In my wallet: Venture 15k; Barclay Ring 12.5k; Discover 10k; PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa 10k; PenFed Promise 10k; CareCredit 7.7k; Amazon Store Card 5k. QS 5k; BA Travel Rewards 3.5k; BA Travel Rewards 3.5k; BA Platinum Visa 2k; Barclay Apple Rewards 2k. Total Credit: 86,200. 7/2-FICO: EQ - 788; TU - 779; EX - 690; Utilization: 12%; GOAL: 780 across the board then 800 across the board. Inquiries: EQ: 7 TU: 6; EX 3; Chapter 13 seven years May, 2015. Reset my garden date to 7/7. Gardening until further notice.

Message 9 of 15
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@Momof5 wrote:

Existentialist wrote:

@Anonymous it possible to be addicted to app'ing for credit? Well, clearly 'anything' is possible... but nonetheless whether one chooses to acknowledge or agree with my assessment matters not - as the possibility of such is still.... remote @ best (given that the threshold in meeting the burden of proof goes beyond the simple 'act' of excessive app'ing - so that the ? then becomes how else does one truly discern 'addiction'?).

Moving on.

For the benefit of us aging folks, would you please post in a larger font?  Your posts are extremely difficult to read for the age-enhanced visually impaired.  Thanks!  Smiley Happy

I think that Existentialist is an optometrist and he is trying to drum up business to pay his credit card debt off! I mean really, he made my eyes bleed!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.