cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding credit

tag
Boomer1977

Rebuilding credit

Hello I'm new to the forum I'm trying to get to a 750 on my credit report currently my EQ is 637 my TU is 658 and my EX is 682 I hvnt missed a payment on my cc or car note for 250 straight pymnts, my oldest report is 12yrs and I avg 4yrs, I have 5 cc cl combined is 6600 (I'm afraid to ask for an increase incase they turn me dwn) any tips as to what I can do to raise it up?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Rebuilding credit

@Boomer1977 wrote:
Hello I'm new to the forum I'm trying to get to a 750 on my credit report currently my EQ is 637 my TU is 658 and my EX is 682 I hvnt missed a payment on my cc or car note for 250 straight pymnts, my oldest report is 12yrs and I avg 4yrs, I have 5 cc cl combined is 6600 (I'm afraid to ask for an increase incase they turn me dwn) any tips as to what I can do to raise it up?

I am wondering if you have any baddies because if you have 250 straight payments with no lates, you would have an bit of an higher score? Depending on which cards you have , you can ask for sp cli to get your credit limit an bit higher. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 8
Boomer1977

I hve a chase freedom with 1000 cl 7 yrs (nvr asked for an increase)
2 cap 1 cc (1 they increased today by 1500 they sent me via mail) and 2 small cc and a car note u hve had in the past 1 CO
Message 3 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Boomer1977 wrote:
I hve a chase freedom with 1000 cl 7 yrs (nvr asked for an increase)
2 cap 1 cc (1 they increased today by 1500 they sent me via mail) and 2 small cc and a car note u hve had in the past 1 CO

the Charge off depending on when it was may be holding you back. Your best bet would be to try gw or pfd it to see if you can get it removed off your credit report. Chase is usually an HP cli so if you don't want an hp you are probably just going to have to wait and see if they auto cli you , which doesn't sound likeley if you have had it for 7 years with no auto cli. I believe cap one cli are sp cli so you can try with your other cc and see what they say. 

Other than that there isn't really anything you can do just make sure you pay all your cards except one , which you can leave around 5-9 % util on. 

Message 4 of 8
Boomer1977

Ok Ty u wished as a kid I paid more attn to credit now I'm paying for it, if I do what you suggested would say in a yr I cld possibly get to 700 on all the cr? Also you said cap 1 is a sp on cli? So even tho I got 1 card raised up would they do the 2nd card as well?
Message 5 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Boomer1977 wrote:
Ok Ty u wished as a kid I paid more attn to credit now I'm paying for it, if I do what you suggested would say in a yr I cld possibly get to 700 on all the cr? Also you said cap 1 is a sp on cli? So even tho I got 1 card raised up would they do the 2nd card as well?

they don't have to give you an sp cli you can ask , but it shouldn't be an HP just ask them when you ask for an cli. Ask them to be sure that its not an HP , but everytime i have requested an CLI it was an sp from Cap One, but i only have an quicksilver. Well depends a lot on your charge off. I was in situation also with an charge off once it fell off my scores went up almost 100. 

I would try and work on getting that removed from your credit report, then you will probably be in an lot better shape with getting cli. 

Message 6 of 8
user5387
Valued Contributor

Payment history and utilization are about 2/3 of your score.

I would address any derogatories you have, e.g. via good will letters.

The other thing I would do is address utilization issues, and let only one of your CCs report a small balance, with others at $0.

I would also avoid applying for new credit unless it's something you really need.

Message 7 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Boomer1977 wrote:
if I do what you suggested would say in a yr I cld possibly get to 700 on all the cr?

We can't say for certain but, as indicated above, payment history has the biggest impact on score.  See also:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

This is why derogs should always be addressed first.  Be sure to check out the Rebuilding subforum.

Next biggest is utilization (amounts owed in the link above).  What's your reported utilization (balance[s] / limit[s] as indicated on your reports) like?  You don't really need to get it optimal (1 balance only at 10% or less) unless you're apping but definitely keep it under 30%.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.