Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding my credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding my credit

• I am completely desperate. My husband and I have been going back and forth about filing BK. Neither of us have a fico above 520 and we are desperate to come from under the dark cloud of horrible credit. We want to buy a home ASAP. Our debts total more than $60k between us.  We make good money, but are disenchanted with the idea of having to pay off all our debt little by little...it may take forever!!! We figured BK would be the easiest and fastest solution.
  • If we were to take the high road and pay off/settle our debt ourselves, how would we know which items to handle first (that would give us the biggest increase in our scores)?
  • HELP PLEASE!!!!!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rebuilding my credit

on_my_way wrote:
  • I am completely desperate. My husband and I have been going back and forth about filing BK. Neither of us have a fico above 520 and we are desperate to come from under the dark cloud of horrible credit. We want to buy a home ASAP. Our debts total more than $60k between us.  We make good money, but are disenchanted with the idea of having to pay off all our debt little by little...it may take forever!!! We figured BK would be the easiest and fastest solution.
  • If we were to take the high road and pay off/settle our debt ourselves, how would we know which items to handle first (that would give us the biggest increase in our scores)?
  • HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Take a deep breath! Have you read the credit scoring 101 thread, if not click below. Great stuff!

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. There was good info there. The GW letter was outstanding. I will try using that when we go to settlw debts. Should I try to dispute items on my report 1st and see what happens? I heard that if you dispute something, the item is resurrected which could mean a further decrease in my score. I have also heard that if I try to negotiate a settlement with a company that I have not been in contact with in a very long time, it will hurt me rather than help me. Is that true?
Message 3 of 4
fused
Moderator Emeritus

on_my_way wrote:
Thanks for the info. There was good info there. The GW letter was outstanding. I will try using that when we go to settlw debts. Should I try to dispute items on my report 1st and see what happens? I heard that if you dispute something, the item is resurrected which could mean a further decrease in my score. I have also heard that if I try to negotiate a settlement with a company that I have not been in contact with in a very long time, it will hurt me rather than help me. Is that true?

Before you do anything or file for BK, I would post all of your accounts that are reporting on your CRs. This includes the good, the bad and the ugly. Include as much detail as possible: CC's and their credit limits and balances, installments, auto loans, student loans, collections, charge-offs, default dates on bad accounts, status of accounts rather they are open or closed and paid or unpaid. What state do you live in? This will allow us to determine if you are still under the SOL (statue of limitations).

Scores can increase or decrease if you have ongoing disputes. I wouldn't worry so much about this right now. Whatever you do, do not pay anyone a cent until you are certain about what the consequences and outcomes of doing so might be.

Credit repair is usually an arduous process and requires a great deal of patience. The good news for you folks is it can't get much worse. We are here to help!

Message Edited by fused111 on 08-15-2007 07:28 PM
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.