Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received A Collections Letter For A Paid Bill

tag
Lippy4246
Established Member

Received A Collections Letter For A Paid Bill

I received a letter from a CA for an EMS bill of $75.00. The funny thing is the last two statements for the ambulance services were for $75 and then $50 as I was paying the City of Hollywood $25 per month. I paid the last $50 straight out in December 2016 to avoid this kind of issue. My balance on the medical billing website shows that I have a balance of zero. I also contacted my bank and they verified both checks were paid to the City of Hollywood and cashed. I want to know what is the best way to handle this. Should I contact the medical biller, as it seems there is some sort of accounting error or should I contact the CA as a courtesy? I don't want this to turn into a mess where it hurts my credit. I have had an issue once before, with Comcast, for a closed accout with a zero balance. In that case it took 6 months to rectify and was a huge pain. Any advice on how to handle this situation is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Received A Collections Letter For A Paid Bill

I would initially send them a debt validation request.

Additionally, while a DV normally does not include supporting documentation, in this case, I would include your argements and supporting docs to assert your position that the debt was paid.

Are either the medical provider or the debt collector reporting to a CRA?

Message 2 of 7
Lippy4246
Established Member

I'm not sure if this is reporting to the CRA as I literally got this last night. I think my next step is to pull my reports. Does the debt validation for to the CA or the OC? Either way I have proof is payment.
Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Debt validation (DV) requests are sent only to debt collectors, not to original creditors.

Message 4 of 7
Lippy4246
Established Member

I emailed the CA a debt validation letter request with proof of payment a week ago. Is there a set period of time the CA must respond after requesting a debt validation?

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no period for required response.

If timely (meaning sent either prior to receipt of any dunning notice, or within 30 days after receipt of a dunning notice), a DV imposes a cease collection bar, which remains in effect until they have sent validation.

Message 6 of 7
Lippy4246
Established Member

I followed up today worth the debt collector and they informed me it was sent back to the OC with a zero balance. The OC confirmed the zero balance and sent out a closed paid in full account letter at my request.

Thanks for your help
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.