Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received Debt Validation - now what?

tag
tim2
Contributor

Received Debt Validation - now what?

I sent out a DV letter for a collection account and two weeks later received the validation letter in the mail today.  Now what do I do?  What is the next step?   (BTW - this collection is only for $300)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Received Debt Validation - now what?

try pfd/gw and keep trying. understand though that at some point the ca may sell the account and give you a whole new derog and the whole process startes over again. this will result in two collections being score against you. the original w/0 balance and the new one that bought/assumed the bad debt.
Message 2 of 8
tim2
Contributor

MODS: Debt Validation - now what?

I will try a PFD and see what happens but I was just looking at the website of the collection agency and there is a big section on there (directed to their customers - the OC) that specifically states that they will not dispute info unless proven to be in error because "such actions would render the credit file useless" - that all they will do is mark the account paid in full.  

It does however contain a statement that says it will remain on the credit report for seven years from the date of service which would be much better than the DOLA.

Credit File – Any accounts with a balance of $50.00 or more will be placed on the consumer’s credit history after sixty (60) days of non payment.  It will remain on their record for approximately seven (7) years from the date of service.

Thanks for any help!
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

tim2 wrote:
I sent out a DV letter for a collection account and two weeks later received the validation letter in the mail today.  Now what do I do?  What is the next step?   (BTW - this collection is only for $300)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

What you do now would depend on whether they sent you proper validation and validated the debt or not. If they did, then my next step would be PFD.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: MODS: Debt Validation - now what?

DOLA should be the date of service!   what is the DOLA and the SOL?
Message 5 of 8
tryingtogetitrightnow
Regular Contributor

@dnm45227 wrote:
try pfd/gw and keep trying. understand though that at some point the ca may sell the account and give you a whole new derog and the whole process startes over again. this will result in two collections being score against you. the original w/0 balance and the new one that bought/assumed the bad debt.

If a CA sells a debt to another CA then you have 2 Collections on your Credit report for the same account? I thought there could only be one for the Collection Agency and possibly one from the OC if it was a Charge Off. Can someone clear this up please.

Starting Scores:10/09/13 EX ???; EQ 661; TU 668
Current Scores: 11/23/13 EX 655; EQ 679; TU 705
Goal Scores:700+ for all
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If 1 CA sells to another   only 1 can report!  You will need to dispute the first one  and DV the second.

If the dispute comes back verified  then DV the 2nd also.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

my error. should have been focusing, but been having a really rough couple of days. thanks for the save happy.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.