cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received my SSN last year but been used before..help..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Received my SSN last year but been used before..help..

I received my SSN last october and last week, i applied for a capital one credit card that was denied.  I assumed i was rejected due to no history but when they sent me the letter why i was rejected, they listed:

revolving accounts balance is too high

few accounts are rated satisfactory

too many delinquent past credit obligations

so i used the freeannualcredit report to see my report, but the questions to verify who i was weren't me and i couldn't get verified.  There were accounts opened years ago on this number.

Now i'm assuming my ssn was used before by someone else in the past fradulently, and i have no idea what to do,

should i call the 3 bureaus and convince them it's not me? because it's really impossible for my name and this number to match up since i wasn't in their system and it's impossible for anyone to know i'd receive this number either.  Or do i go to the SSA and request a new number because it might a duplicate? and i don't know what documents i need to support this evidence either...

Thank you for your time.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Received my SSN last year but been used before..help..

I'd do a bit of both. I would first pull all 3 reports from annualcreditreport.com. While still in their system, I would then place a fraud alert on each (you can call for that too...if paced on one, it should transfer to the other two).

Next I'd call the police and file a police report for ID theft if you are certain the items on your CR aren't yours. You would need this report to clean up your credit if the SSA won't issue a new SSN.

Finally, I would contact the SSA and talk to them about this.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.