Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recourse on Un-Authorized Inquiry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recourse on Un-Authorized Inquiry

We all know that "un-authorized inquiries" do NOT affect the FICO score....else the jamming of our mailboxes /w 'pre-approved offers' would've reduce the nationwide scores to an average of a/b 30.  An AUTHORIZED INQUIRY can, however, adversely affect the score.  I DID respond to an entity's offer (re: Home Eq) answered all questions on one level, eventually spoke /w underwriter, realized several parameters originally given were wrong.  My last word (during the RECORDED conversation) was, "Let's just table this for now...one never knows--the Fed may reduce the rate again in fighting the supposed recession...I'll just wait a few months before moving forward."  The underwriter responded, "your information will go to the next level and someone will call you in the next few days...NOTHING will happen until then."  I reiterated a desire to cease forward movement.  No call---BUT (yes!) "forward movement"....the entity made an inquiry and I can tell my score was reduced a bit.

WHAT RECOURSE DO I HAVE?  Would I be allowed to LISTEN to those 'recorded conversations'?  How do I start that process?  yes, I know how to contact the original individual with whom I spoke, but I'd really like to skip that idiot and go straight back to the Underwriter; can't b/c I have no name OR direct number as I did not write down a name and the call came in via "Privacy Director" (if not familiar /w Priv Dir: caller identifies, I can accept/decline/ignore call; I accepted as the financial institution name was the exact one /w whom I'd just spoken.) I know.....keep a pen by the phone.

I constantly see advice to "contact the Big Three" (reporting agencies) when corrections are needed:  FAR, FAR EASIER SAID THAN DONE!!!  Anyone help?  Thx!  Eema
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Recourse on Un-Authorized Inquiry

Hi, Eema.  I am moving your post to the General Credit Issues Forum, where it will more likely be seen by members who can answer your questions.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheddar:  TenQBellyMuch!  Tired Eeema should've been more attentive...really DO appreciate, as this is a pretty maddening occurence!!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can send them the Non-PP letter..........however depending on the exact situation, I'm sure they could argue and win that they had PP. Depends on "what level" they pull credit. I would assume this is one of the first steps, as they wouldn't want to spend manhour discussing loan options when a person would likely not even qualify.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.