Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redcard chip issues

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Redcard chip issues

Can a chip really become demagnetized by being in my wallet next to my other credit cards? That's what the cashier at Target told me after the machine refused to take my Red Card lets not discuss the 5-10 Times she made me insert it.

Needless to say it was emberacing to have my card declined.

I called Target card services an the rep said she didn't see where a transaction was attempted.

She told me next time it happened to make the cashier manually enter the card number. That it was probably an issue with the magnetic stripe(the magnetic stripe Red Cards don't have)

Has this happened to anyone else?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Redcard chip issues

The "chip" is simply a small computer chip made from silicon. Can't be demagnetized as there is nothing magnetic. It can however like anything else become damaged or defective.

Think about it If keeping cards together damaged the chips none of us would be able to complete a transaction.

I had to replace my Amex because the plastic around the chip was cracked and didn't always work. No issues with my red card.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Redcard chip issues

Had to order a replacement; now to wait 7-10 days for it to get here! 

How I miss my Target Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.