Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing APR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reducing APR

FICO score: 670

I have 10 credit cards with APRs of 16.99 - 29.99%.  Every time I try to request a lower interest rate with the credit card companies, they tell me:

"We understand your concern regarding the annual percentage rate on your account.  We received your request for a reduced Annual Percentage Rate; however, a lower rate is currently not available.  You are important to us and we appreciate your business."

How has everyone else accomplished lowering their interest for Purchases and/or Balance Transfers?
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Reducing APR

I had this problem not too long ago with my Wells Fargo Visa. I called every month for several months requesting a lower APR, only to be told the same thing..."A lower APR is not available at this time". The last time I called, the representative advised me to write a letter to the "Executive Office" to request a review to reduce my APR. I did this and less than a week later I received a phone call advising me that my APR had been lowered by 10%. This might generate an inquiry on your credit report, but it made a huge difference in my finance charges each month.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The ccc's usually grant cli's once or twice a year. Many ccc's do that based on their internal investigations, plus soft pulls from your cr.

how old are your cc's?
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Certain companies have "beginner" cards that they really will not reduce the rate on. The answer is: You need a different type of card. If you can afford a little inquiry hit, then I would apply for a card that has a much lower rate to begin with.
If you cannot, then just PIF in your grace period, and don't worry about interest.
Message 4 of 16
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

yeah, it all depends on your payment history, your balance and your FICO score. I recently requested a CLI from AMEX, was denied due to my EX score. However, I also requested a CLI from First Premier and they bumped me up $125. Not a lot, but considering that First Premier is a "bad credit" CC getting the bump was great as it immediately reduced my UTL from 92% to 74%, and my score will look better from this. So I can probably get CLIs from the other two CCs once I get my balances down a little further -- which is the only thing holding my score in the mid500s that I can do something about without too much effort (i.e. no letter writing).

However, there are those card that aren't designed for lower APRs, unless your write a Reconsideration request to the Executive offices as someone else mentioned above.
Message 5 of 16
dizzier
Established Contributor

I was just able to get my BofA student card APR reduced from 16.74 to 13.99 which i far below their usual rate of 18.74. previously they had refused to give me a rate reduction, so i opened a card with a lower APR and transferred my BofA balance to it. I let the card sit for a few months then tried again... they approved it.

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 6 of 16
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

dizzier wrote:
I was just able to get my BofA student card APR reduced from 16.74 to 13.99 which i far below their usual rate of 18.74. previously they had refused to give me a rate reduction, so i opened a card with a lower APR and transferred my BofA balance to it. I let the card sit for a few months then tried again... they approved it.

Very nice!  Nothing gets a CC co's attention faster than a balance transfer to zero out your account.  Smiley Very Happy
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 7 of 16
dizzier
Established Contributor

exactly!

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are probably right that most of these are beginner cards.  I have CCs between 2 and 7 years old with large revolving balances that kills me in finance charges.  My payment history is excellent, always on-time, and more than the minimum.  You say I need a different type of card; what card would you recommend for me?
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been successful in lowering many of my CC APRs.  I have 11 cards total.  I have just paid off 5 of the highest interest cards. 

HSBC       0/2000 16.4% (was 29.9%)
Chase1    0/1000  26.9% (was 29.9%)
Chase2    0/500    26.9% (was 29.9%)
Chase3    0/700    22.7%
Old Nvy    0/1500  21.0%

Here are the remaining 6:

GM        6500/9000  17.2% (was 29.9%)
Cap1a   1324/2000  16.9%
Cap1b   5404/7500  12.9% (was 19.4%)
AmEx    1280/6500  11.9% (was 18.2%)
Citi          571/1500    6.9%
Disc      3283/5000    0.0% (intro offer then goes to 13%)

Last I checked, my EQ FICO score was 672 before paying off those top 5 cards.  I am able to pay 1100/month towards these CCs.  Any advise on a course of action?  I've owned my starter home for 3 yrs and would like to buy a bigger house around Aug 2009.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.