cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refi w/in 9 mos. continue get out of revolving debt plan, or try to increase credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refi w/in 9 mos. continue get out of revolving debt plan, or try to increase credit score?

I have a balloon mortgage due March '08 on my townhouse.  I didn't plan on staying in my place this long (it was a 5 yr fixed loan with the balloon - I was very ignorant at the time, but looking back, really was a pretty good deal), but now think I probably will for another 2 or 3 years.  So, I'll be refinancing...and probably this fall (I understand interest rates and election years are not kind, historically).

Last I checked (Feb '06 for an auto loan), my FICO's were in the 718 to 742 range.  I'm cleaning up a wrongful Charge-off on my reports, and that is the only negative I have (except 1 30 day late pay from 6 years ago)

Some general numbers:
~13,500 in credit card debt (balances on 3 of my 7 cards)
99,400 total credit available to me on those 7 cards (47500 on one of them that I pay off each month)

I have a 18 month plan that will get me out of this debt, and have a little chunk in savings (for emergencies).  I can then payoff my car in another 1.5 years after that.  This is all assuming I don't get a raise or any other "windfall", also that I can continue with my current budget (which I feel is very do-able).

Now, of my 3 cards with the balance, the utils are 67%, 16%, and 59%...but, my overall util would be 13.6% of the nearly 100K.

I've been reading a bunch on Util, but still am not currently clear.  It sounds like although my overall util is good (of course 0% would be ideal), the two cards that are over 50% could be greatly effecting my score.

I could move that debt around with some balance transfers, and thus push my getting out of debt date back...if I used Excel correctly, about 5 or 6 months, moving a good chunk of that debt to a the 47500 limit card.

Keep in mind, although I'm going to refi (and hopefully keep closing costs low), I do not plan to stay in my current place for very long.  Again, just 2 or 3 years.  But, of course, things change.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Refi w/in 9 mos. continue get out of revolving debt plan, or try to increase credit score?

Rates are still good and they are fighting for business.
With your 700+ scores this should be a non-issue

Do you have any equity in the townhouse?

If there is any possibility of being there aver 3 years - get a fixed rate.
Maybe a 15 year fixed with a balloon?
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Refi w/in 9 mos. continue get out of revolving debt plan, or try to increase credit score?

Yes, I've got...roughly 10k in equity.  And, I can't say with certainty I wouldn't be more then 3 years, but that's my current thinking.  So, I was thinking of another 5 (or a 15) year balloon.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump.

I should note, I put down 20k, so really, I guess I've got more like 30k in equitity.

Any other comments?  Not worry about my score so much since its pretty good?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's never a score that's too high.

I'd move the debt around to bring the utilization down on each card  (provided you can keep track of the dates for paying off balances subject to teaser rates).
Message 5 of 6
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

masdeocho wrote:
There's never a score that's too high.

I'd move the debt around to bring the utilization down on each card  (provided you can keep track of the dates for paying off balances subject to teaser rates).

Technically 851 is too high.. I kill me. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.