cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rejected! WaMu turned my pre-approval down because of incorrect ssn?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rejected! WaMu turned my pre-approval down because of incorrect ssn?

A month ago, I received in the mail a pre-approval for the WaMu PFICO Visa card thing.  Now, reading these, I understand thats just a marketing solicitation, but whatever.  Anyway, I've got decent credit (720-740 range) and was really interested in the PFICO part of the card, so I thought I'd signup for it online.

Well, I wasn't immediately approved, but I waited the 2-4 weeks to hear from them (which would have been this Friday).  Yesterday, in the mail I got a letter saying I was denied because the SSN they had on file, didn't match what I entered.

What?

I called this morning, and they lady had me verify my SSN, name and address.  She then said that the offer (pre-approval) was for another person with my last name, but the SSN started "255" instead of "555" (note, my ssn doesn't start 555, but you get the idea).  I found that odd.  I did check my CR that they said I could check - Transunion.  Sure enough, they have my ssn correctly.  And, sure enough, they did a hard pull of that report.  So, I asked why "I was denied."  The lady on the phone said it's automatic.  I asked her about the same solicitation they sent last week, and she said I'd have to wait 90 days to apply again.  She then corrected her self and said 60 days, because I applied online.

Of course, I should have followed up with, "will you reject me again because of my SSN?"  It's also odd to me, because they (WaMu) had my home mortgage for years.  I mean, I know the credit card part of WaMu probably doesn't talk to the home loan side of the house, but still.....rejection hurts.

Moral of the story, I guess, is that you should probably call the pre-approvals to make sure it is you they want, and not someone else who lives with you (oh yeah, I live alone) or whatever.  The hard pull was not cool.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rejected! WaMu turned my pre-approval down because of incorrect ssn?

I would find out who  the CEO of the company is and write him/her.     Send your  copy of your pre-approval application and the letter you received along with your own personal letter inquiring as to how this could possibly happen to you?!!!    I would mention that you had a previous mortgage with their company as well. 

Send the letter certified mail, return receipt requested.   

SandyK
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Pre Approved is fake. Just an advertisement. Smiley Sad Just apply off their web site again. If you get turned down because you already applied this time, send in a RECON letter. I have been turned down from WAMU for many years and have received dozens of pre approved letters.

However. WAMU wants to see low or 0 UTL before applying. If you have balances on your CR do not apply until they show $0 or close to it. WAMU denies people with long unpaid or high UTL on CRAs.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 06-14-2007 10:03 AM
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

As an FYI, I just applied for and was approved for a WAMU platinum MasterCard with a $2,000 limit.

Currently, I have a UTIL of about 37%.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but I bank with WAMU and applied in person for the card.

david
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife and I got WaMu cards in March; we were both showing pretty high balances and utilization over 20%. We responded online to preapproved offers. To the OP, I say don't just apply off the website right away, the preapproved offers can be much better than what you can get off the website. We both have 0% on purchases until October 2008, in exchange for making a BT at account opening (we did a $100 BT each, and paid it off right away, accruing interest in each case of less than 25 cents). Her card has tiered cashback which hit 1% after charges of $4000, including (again after hitting $4000) 10% on gas for the first 6 months. I get a straight 1%, paid in points, plus 6000 bonus points to start. You don't get all that from the offer on the website. The Fico thing is just OK, not great; they update pretty infrequently. My most recent update was May 1.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, yeah, I've gotten that was the offer I originally applied for in my "pre-approval", except it was until Jan of '09.  The funny thing is they sent me the offer, (now for a 3rd time in the past month) just yesterday when I got home from work.

I think I'll try a RECON letter.  It just doesn't add up...to me.  They pulled my credit report...even though they had a different SSN?  Come on, reject me for anything but the SSN.  That's retarded.

It's that 0% on new purchases that makes the card so attractive, not to mention the PFICO access.  I'll be sure to bring up the fact that they should pay extra attention to my loan they serviced for years (no lates....heck, my last 30 day late showing is on one cc from late '01...deny me for that).
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

fraz wrote:

I think I'll try a RECON letter.  It just doesn't add up...to me.  They pulled my credit report...even though they had a different SSN?  Come on, reject me for anything but the SSN.  That's retarded.

I hear ya. My wife was rejected when you applied in store for a Lane Bryant store CC. Their rejection letter said unable to confirm SSN (because of the FA on our CRs). Sent in a recon letter saying, heh, y'all pulled the report (cause we can see the INQ). Here's DOB and SSN. Please reconsider.

We're giving them another 2 weeks, then a second recon letter stating you pulled the report because the inquiry is there. If you won't reconsider the application, then delete the inquiry.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noah_Bodie wrote:

We're giving them another 2 weeks, then a second recon letter stating you pulled the report because the inquiry is there. If you won't reconsider the application, then delete the inquiry.

Can they do that?  Can they delete the inquiry?  If so, I think that will go into my first RECON letter.  I'm not wasting more then 41 cents on this.  It would be "nice" to have the card, but it's not a necessity.
Message 8 of 10
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

fraz wrote:

Noah_Bodie wrote:

Can they do that?  Can they delete the inquiry?  If so, I think that will go into my first RECON letter.  I'm not wasting more then 41 cents on this.  It would be "nice" to have the card, but it's not a necessity.

Anyone who puts something on your report can certainly remove it.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

fraz wrote:

They can recode the inquiry as a soft pull. At times, when a creditor pulls a report they should not have pulled, to avoid getting sued they will recode the inquiry--but you usually have to bring it to their attention and maybe threaten 'em with an ITS letter.

With recon, I'm not trying to go that route. Just want 'em to consider the app and either issue a card or reject and state the reasons.

But, if they won't do right, I think I might have grounds for a suit because they pulled the report yet did not consider the application.

I'm wandering far afield from your original question, query and quandary.

Send a recon letter. Include your SSN, DOB, and a copy of the rejection letter. Be polite but firm.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.