cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of Hard Inquiries - Trans Union

tag
sford_68

Removal of Hard Inquiries - Trans Union

I contacted the companies who performed multiple hard inquires on my credit report (2 companies).   Bank of America made 5 hard inquiries in 1 month while I was buying my home and all 5 show up on my credit report.  Another mortgage company made 3 hard inquires in 2 months during the same time for mortgage purposes. 

Both companies contacted me and sent me a copy of their letter to the three bureaus requested the hard inquiries be removed.  Experian and Equifax removed with no problem months ago.

But TRANS UNION removed them one week and puts them right back on the next week back in January!!!  Customer Service at Trans Union is a joke, no one can tell me why they were put back on after being removed.  I contacted both companies again and they requested they be removed again in February.   I have sent Trans Union copies of the letters that they already received from the Mortgage company and Bank Of America back in February.  But Trans Union did the same thing remove the hard inquiries then 5 days later place them right back on my report.  NEED ADVISE - What can I do if Trans Union won't comply with the request??? 

Starting Score: TU 584 EQ 568
Current Score: TU 678 EQ 685
Goal Score: 745

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Removal of Hard Inquiries - Trans Union

@sford_68 wrote:

I contacted the companies who performed multiple hard inquires on my credit report (2 companies).   Bank of America made 5 hard inquiries in 1 month while I was buying my home and all 5 show up on my credit report.  Another mortgage company made 3 hard inquires in 2 months during the same time for mortgage purposes. 

Both companies contacted me and sent me a copy of their letter to the three bureaus requested the hard inquiries be removed.  Experian and Equifax removed with no problem months ago.

But TRANS UNION removed them one week and puts them right back on the next week back in January!!!  Customer Service at Trans Union is a joke, no one can tell me why they were put back on after being removed.  I contacted both companies again and they requested they be removed again in February.   I have sent Trans Union copies of the letters that they already received from the Mortgage company and Bank Of America back in February.  But Trans Union did the same thing remove the hard inquiries then 5 days later place them right back on my report.  NEED ADVISE - What can I do if Trans Union won't comply with the request??? 

I would suggest calling Transunion again, this time requesting to speak with a supervisor and asking for his/her name. Sometimes you just have to be more pushy to get things done. Better than freak out and get frustrated anyway. Cat Tongue

Message 2 of 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

The inquires related to buying your home with in a 30 day period are treated as 1 inquiry in the FICO scoring calculation.  Some of the older models it was 14 days..  I would not wqorry about it,

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

"Deletion of inquiries" is a deep, dark mystery, as is most of the entire process of reporting and coding inquiries.

When a party provides an inquiry to the CRA, there are no published guidelines or procedures that explain the process.

The FCRA does not cover coding of inquiries, only that they must state a permissible purpose to be granted.  The CRA reporting manual does not address coding of inquiries, as they are not the reporting of consumer info to a CRA, they are just the opposite.  They are requests to see what others have reported.

Requestors are not required to provide a code for their inquiry under any statute or regulation.  If and how they code inquiries or whether the coding is produced by the CRAs based on the type or permissible purpose is a mystery.  Are their even codes that provide requestors the ability to block their inquiry from credit report inclusion ("soft pull"), such as "consumer inititated request for credit, but dont show this inquiry in the consumer's credit report"?

An inquiry itself cannot, in my opinion,  be "deleted."  It is not reported information regarding the consumer.  The toothpaste is out of the tube once the CRA sends the requested report, and thus record showing compliance of permissible purpose must be retained by the CRA. 

If, how, and why they decided to either exclude or reinclude the fact of a legitimate credit inquiry in the consumer's credit report is something of which the rules are not known, and thus challenge of the appropriateness of their actions is a challenge without any supporting basis of which I am aware.

Message 4 of 7
sford_68

Unfortunately, Trans Union did not follow inquires related to buying my home with in a 30 day period being treated as 1 inquiry.  All 5 inquiries from Bank of America in May of last year show up as individual inquires.  I called and spoke to a supervisor who obviously couldn't speak English very well.  She advised that Trans Union does not have to honor a request from  any company to either inquire or remove an inquiry.  Which is completely incorrect!  Trans Union has no legal right to deny an inquiry or to not respond to a company requesting a hard or soft inquiry or to ignore any request to remove or remove due to error.  She said there is nothing I can do as a consumer that Trans Union makes their own operating guidelines (again false).  I am so sick of being jerked around by a Customer Care Center in India with Trans Union.  My next step is to email/fax the executive offices of Trans Union.

Starting Score: TU 584 EQ 568
Current Score: TU 678 EQ 685
Goal Score: 745

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRA has nothing to do with "de-duping" of multiple inquiries pertaining to an auto or mortgage app.

That is a scoring issue in the FICO algorithm.  All inquiries should show in your credit report, however FICO will do its thing and only score those within the "de-duping" window as one inquiry.

Again, the CRA is in a dilemma with respect to the "deletion" of inquiries, as once honored, they have every basis, in my opinion, to retain any documentation showing the basis for having provided the requested credit report. They cant undo the fact of having sent the credit report, so they should retain their basis for having done so.

If a legal challenge should later be brought concerning a lack of permissible purpose, the CRA would be the only source of documentation of what the inquiree provided as their permissible purpose.  Not a record they would want to delete.

I dont even really see what "deletion" of an inquiry actually means.  Hiding an inquiry that is legally permissible to be included in a consumer's credit report?

Message 6 of 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

YOu will see the 5 inquires on the report yes but the FICO scoring calcuation will treat them as one inquiry.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.