Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing 30 day late report question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing 30 day late report question

I recently checked and noticed that Capital One reported a 30 day past due on my credit card for a $31 balance. This was reported on October 1,2015. I called capital one and explained that i had not made any purchases and that the charges were from an autodraft that slipped my mind. I've never been late so they told me they were going to remove the late report. Due to the late report my credit score went from 720 to 676. Once the late report gets removed how much do you think my score will increase?
Thanks
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Removing 30 day late report question

Well nobody will be able to give you an exact answer. Trust me, I've asked before. I had 5 lates from Capital One and they removed them (well was told they removed; I have yet to see the proof on my credit report). The best thing you can do is watch your credit score. 

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Credit scoring and impact upon removal of any derog is as dependent upon what remains in the consumer's credit report as it is on what is removed.

Thus, results vary widely depending upon the totality of other information in your report, making it impossible to generalize a prediction.

Message 3 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Once the late report gets removed how much do you think my score will increase?

The late will have no impact when removed.  As for your score, it all depends on whether or not the late was the only reason your score dropped.  We can only go on what you've told us but you have to carefully review reports from before and after any scoring change to determine all changes that caused the change.  A recent late does have a significant scoring impact but it's not the only factor that matters.

Keep in mind that you don't have just one credit score.  There are many FICO models used by creditors.  See also the Understanding FICO Scoring subofurm and its stickies.  Typically for a given scoring model you have a score with each CRA.  Always make sure you're considering the specific scoring model and the CRA if you're going to rely on the numbers.  The weighting of the factors can and does vary by scoring model.

@Anonymous wrote:
I called capital one and explained that i had not made any purchases and that the charges were from an autodraft that slipped my mind.

That really doesn't matter to them.  You're repsonsible for monitoring and managing your account.  If transactions are slipping by then you need to pay closer attention to your accounts.  You were lucky that they agreed to remove the late as they are not obligated to do so since it was correctly reported.   Do whatever it takes to avoid derogs in future.  If autopay would be of benefit to you then make use of it.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.