cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Collections Accounts....will it improve my credit? Barry (or anyone), PLEASE HELP!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing Collections Accounts....will it improve my credit? Barry (or anyone), PLEASE HELP!

I currently have an account which was sent to collections this past month. I technically had absolutely nothing to do with opening the account in the first place, they even have the wrong social security number connected to the account but I'm figuring they matched the name & address and pinned me for this charge. Since it is now on my credit report I'm debating on whether or not to dispute the account all together to have it remove completely, or to just pay it off so that the account balance can be at zero, and then disbute the charges. I figure the sooner the balance is paid the better my credit will be. I have already mailed the check so that this account can be closed asap, should I put a stop payment on this check and dispute the account first? Will it improve my credit drastically more to have the account completely removed opposed to just paid off? The reason I ask is because if I decide to not stop payment on the check and the collection company cashes it but then decides to not remove the account, I'll be screwed... right? I am trying to improve my score to buy a house and this is one of the negative items, but is fairly recent. I would like to do whatever will improve my creidt score in the least amount of time.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would definitely dispute to have it removed.  I was in...

I would definitely dispute to have it removed.  I was in the same position with an invalid collection once it was removed, my score rose 50 points. Paying off collections resulted in no increase in score
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not pay it. Regaurdless if you pay it or not your...

I would not pay it. Regaurdless if you pay it or not your credit score will not increase unless you can have it completely removed. I have talked to several people who have paid them because they were told it would be removed and after the collection company got paid they did not remove it and my friend had not proof that they told her it would be removed. If this is truely not yours why would you want to pay it,That makes it look like it was validated.You need to fight this one and dont give up.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for the response. I have contacted both...

Thank you so much for the response. I have contacted both the collections agency and the credit bureaus to dispute this account. They will investigate and let me know the outcome in 30-45 days. Thanks again!
Message 4 of 11
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

Looks like you've done the right thing, creditworries.  T...

Looks like you've done the right thing, creditworries.  The only additional suggestion I'd make is that if the agency says they're going to delete it from your credit reports because it's not yours, make sure to get that in writing ASAP.  Good luck!
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Barry. After reading some of yours (and other) adv...

Thanks Barry. After reading some of yours (and other) advice in regard to collections, etc., I decided to take action on one of my legit collections accounts. I contacted the agency yesterday and arranged a settlement offer and they actually agreed to have the collection account completely removed from my report once the settlement amount was paid in full. Again, I read enough of your posts to know to ask them to give it to me in writing. They agreed and were even willing to fax it to me but the only fax I have is at work and I wasn't comfortable giving out that information. None-the-less they said they would mail the letter out and once I received it I had 30 days to make the first payment and then another 30 for the second. I will probably just pay it all in 1 payment so that it can be removed sonner rather than later. Thank You Thank You Thank You! I would of never thought to even ask if it weren't for reading your other posts.

On a worse note, I have another account that I was trying to bring current but the account manager was so absolutely nasty toward me I ended up ending the conversation prior to making any arrangements. She swore that I had no idea what I was talking about and that a collections agency has no authority to remove an account that they reported to the CB's. After denying me 3 times when asked to speak to a different AM or even a supervisor, she finally transferred me to a man who said, and I quote "..She probably should have worded it differently. We can remove accounts from credit reports but we pick and chose who we want to do that for and we definitely would not do it for you..." He wouldn't repeat his title to me so I'm assuming he wasn't really her supervisor and probably just a co-worker. He literally chuckled at my request and basically told me that if I wasn't prepaired to pay what I owed them at that very moment then he didn't need to speak to me any further. At this point I was shaking and in tears, I'm not even the sensative type! They treated me so unfair and made me feel like less than a person. I have goose bumps right now just thinking about it, they were really really unprofessional and rude.

But I do want to thank you all for posting such informative information. I thought I was going to remain in the "bad credit" realm forever! My parents never mentioned credit or its worth growing up so now that I'm 26 and trying to buy a home I'm feeling the pain. I'm at 550 now, but was at 534 a month and a half ago. Only about 200 more points to go, right?
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

MY NAME IS JACOB B CURRENCE AND THERE ARE SOME CREDIT O...

MY NAME IS JACOB AND THERE ARE SOME CREDIT ON MY CREDIT REPORT THAT I NEED TO HAVE REMOVED HOW DO I DO THAT

[Last name removed to protect your privacy. - Raine]

Message Edited by Raine on 03-19-2007 11:22 PM
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why would you pay for someone else's mishap? It's theirs...

Why would you pay for someone else's mishap?

It's theirs to deal with. Paying it will likely make it more difficult to remove.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

you need to STAY OFF THE PHONE!!!     for that second CA,...

you need to STAY OFF THE PHONE!!!

for that second CA, fire off a dispute letter to them, CMRRR...then, WHEN they violate your rights, go get them and collect money from THEM
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: you need to STAY OFF THE PHONE!!!     for that second CA,...

hi. i'm not sure if i'm in the right place, but i need help repairing my credit on my own. i almost joined lexington, but read on here that it is a complet waste of time and money, and that i can get the same things done myself. anyone have any advice as to where to start, ie: websites, books, etc.  what types of negative accounts can i address, and how?
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.