Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing INQ from credit reports

Hey, I am trying to improve my credit, what I have done so far today:

1) sign up with 3 different credit reporting services
2) create PFD(pay for delete) for all collections
3) create dispute letters for all collections
4) open up a new credit card with high annual fees to get something reporting

What I am looking at doing now is getting some of the hard INQ removed from my account, what is the best method for doing this? Is it best to write to the person who ran my credit to get them to remove the INQ? If so, how do I get their address if just their name is listed on my credit report?

I am so amazed to find this resource, all this information is great, if it wasnt for you guys I dont know where I would start!

Thanks!

Steve
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Removing INQ from credit reports

Steve - We do not recommend or condone removing accurate Inqs from your credit reports. Attempting to do so can lead to more trouble than it is worth. Remember, new credit is a small percentage of your score and any Inqs over a year are no longer calculated.

You can use this letter assuming the Inq was not a result of PP:

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Although inquiries remain on your credit report for up to two years, generally they are not included in your credit score if over one year. I would encourage you to focus on others areas that would and could have more positive impact on your credit report such as getting all your revolving credit accounts below the milestone of 10%, 30%, or 50%.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inq's are on our credit reports for a reason.  It's actually illegal for the CRA's to remove an inquiry.  That's not to say that they don't do it on occasion, but they are REQUIRED by law to notate when they supply your credit report to someone. 

Do we really want to live in a credit world where the CRA's can provide your credit report to someone without some form of independent checking to make sure that they are doing it legally?

If there is an inc on your report what it really means is that the CRA has delivered your credit report to someone and personally I want to know who gets mine, and for what reason.

This is not to say that an improper inc should remain coded as a hard inc, but do we really want to spearhead a trend that allows the CSR's to simply erase history? 

If we go down that road aren't we saying to them "Go ahead and provide my report to anyone that asks, just don't ding my score when you do?" 

I know it's probably from an individual point of view better to get some inc's removed from reports, but what are we telling the CSR's when we do it?  I think it's a dangerous precedent to set.

I certainly don't have all the answers, but I am filled with questions.

Van

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.