cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing accounts from CR, can someone advise or point in right direction?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing accounts from CR, can someone advise or point in right direction?

Can someone help me out or point me to what post I should be looking at (with a sample letter)?  I am a little overwhelmed by all the info... 

I have a couple issues on my credit report that I want removed either b/c they are reporting past the 7 years or because it is not my account - I have outlined them below:

1.  I had an MBNA account opened in Fall 1998 and then I broke my back in early 2000 and due to being in/out of hospital, fell behind in payments.  I entered payment arrangments w/ MBNA in May 2000 but never brought the account "current" as in under my credit limit (the late payment charges and fees sent my $1900 credit limit account soaring to $4500).  In Oct 2004, I settled the account for about $2700.  To my knowledge, I thought the 7 year reporting period had to start running from May 2000 (or 180 days from May 2000) so that it would have already be dropped off, or be dropping off by the end of this year.  Its reporting to all 3 CRAs but MBNA was bought out by Bank of America I guess a couple years ago so it now reports as BOA instead of MBNA.  I called BOA requesting (nicely) that they remove it as outdated or as a goodwill adjustment since it should be off next month... but the CRAs are showing it should report to 2013 or 2014 which is 7 years from NOW!  I suspect b/c BOA is continuing to report the account each month for some reason.  The rep that I spoke w/ @ BOA said that they will not take it off.

2.  Had a WFFNB/Express card in same circumstances as above, except I did not enter a payment arrangement, it went unpaid until I settled the account in 2004.  It was only reporting on my Experian report.  I placed a call to WFFNB/Express who said they would take it off last week and the girl said that she did... how long will this take to show up - or should I follow up in writing?

3.  Finally - this is the major one.  In Fall 1999, I filled out a credit app @ Rooms to Go as I was planning on moving from student housing to my own apartment (I was in college).  However due to the injury, I was forced to stay in student housing b/c I coudn't work obviously.  So - I never got any furniture from Rooms to Go, nor did I ever get a credit card from them.  In 2003 or so, I saw a credit account on my CR from HSBC (previously Retail Services, Household Retail Services, etc) and I have been disputing it every since to no avail.  I wrote numerous letters over the years to Rooms to Go and whatever company was reporting the debt and never got a response.  I have made copious amounts of phone calls, always getting transferred around the globe, usually ending up in India.  I always get frustrated and give up.  I started trying again this year.  At one time I was transferred to someone in their security department who told me that I needed to go back to TN (I now live in FL) and file a police report (for 1999!!!).  Then they transferred me to India and the person there told me that they could not provide me with anything but a copy of the application that I filled out... that copies of statements which were supposedly sent would cost me $5 per statement dating back to 1999 (I never rec'd a single statement mind you) and they could not provide me with a copy of the sales receipt or delivery receipt.  I asked where the furniture was delivered and they gave me the address of the student housing (which was fully-furnished and you could not bring your own furniture to!).  Anyway, finally in Oct of this year I got a response from them w/ only the copy of the application I filled out in 1999.  Then this month I got a statement from them (my very first one!) that had "Rooms to Go" across the top and it referenced two things that were purchased - TWO REFRIGERATORS!  A $3300 refrigerator in 1999 and a $350 refrigerator in 2003.  Now, I have never in my life bought a refrigerator but not only have I never SEEN a $3300 refrigerator, but I am pretty dang sure that Rooms to Go does not sell refrigerators at all.  In 2003, HSBC changed the way it reported on my credit from reporting as delinquent to reporting as "paid as agreed" with a $0 monthly payment but an outstanding balance of $3720 or so.  I also have 2 other HSBC accounts (a credit card and an installment account from Kane Furniture that is Beneficial/HSBC) so why on earth would they give me credit if I had an account w/ them that I supposedly opened and never paid?  I am so frustrated and confused by this whole thing and have talked to some credit counselors but they didn't know what else to do b/c I have done everything that they would suggest already.  I don't have $ for an attorney right now.  Any suggestions???

Thanks so much for your assistance and any insight, I have been researching online what I should/could do but I haven't found anything exactly along the lines that I am looking for yet and I just got overwhelmed w/ all the info.

Jen

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Removing accounts from CR, can someone advise or point in right direction?

bump
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Removing accounts from CR, can someone advise or point in right direction?

yes please bump!  for whatever reason, i could not log in under my other screen name and fico forums wasn't recognizing my email address - weird.  but i really need to do something about this rooms to go thing - i have to respond w/i 60 days to the "bill" they sent and half of that is already gone.

thanks!
jen
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.