Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing old inactive $0 balance accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing old inactive $0 balance accounts

How does one go about getting old inactive $0 balance accounts removed from credit reports?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Removing old inactive $0 balance accounts

You don't wanna do that.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

bluetruck wrote:
How does one go about getting old inactive $0 balance accounts removed from credit reports?

unless it had late payments or other derogs.  do not touch it!!!!
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

1. Why do you want to remove it?
2. What type of account is it?
3. When did you first get this account?
4. Does this account show any negative history?
5. What other types of accounts do you have?

I ask this because sometimes this action helps and sometimes it hurts your scores.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 10-13-2007 01:59 PM
Message 4 of 8
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

Old closed accounts stay for 10 years. If they are in good standing that's great for your score! I have a bad one that's dropping this january..woo-hoo!
Message 5 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

bluetruck wrote:

I agree with the others so long as this inactive account also has no derogs, leave it alone. Accounts rather opened or closed are weighted equally in FICO scoring. Removing this account will can shorten your average-age of accounts and this will lower your scores.
Message 6 of 8
holhat
Regular Contributor

I have 2 accts that are listed as "paid account, was a collection" date open 2003 but staus date is 2007.  ??   7 years from which date then?

Darn.  Would be nice if 0 bal had to go.....seems kind of cruel to leave it there.  Might as well out live it in that case and save the $$.Smiley Wink      

Message 7 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I would pull the CR directly from the CRA (not here, TC or elsewhere). On the EX ad TU reports you'll find a drop off date for all PRs, CAs, and some OCs. If this is an OC and there's no date, then the account will turn good and remain for another 3 yrs beyond the 7. If the dates are correct, you could also go by the DOFD date and add 7 yrs to find when it will drop off.

Based on your dates, and if accurate, then the account should stay on at least to 2010. Ignore the status date, report date, DOLA, DOLP, etc.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.