Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reopening Credit Card

tag
John060675
Valued Contributor

Reopening Credit Card

I have read on the forum that companies will reopen accounts sometimes.  I have one that I closed in 1998 that is in good standing.  From my understanding this will drop off my report after 10 years, which is coming up soon!  I am desperate to keep it on, and I would love to reopen the account (JC Penny).

I have drafted a letter to send them, but I supposed my question is whether it is worth the time to send it.  Also, can anything negative come out of this?

I know I am grasping at straws, but I really need this account to stay on for average age of account purposes.

Thank you!

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Reopening Credit Card

I would start with just calling them. Odds are if it can be opened the CSR should be able to help you with that over the phone. I don't see any real downside to doing this unless they will only give you a new account instead of reopening your old one. I had a friend do this to a VanMaur account in the last couple weeks. He was able to go to the store the same day and use the account # while the new card was being shipped to him.
Message 2 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I would ask them before sending the letter. I say this because it's far better to have the card reopened with the nice long history rather than as a new account. Not sure what your chances are though with JC Penny.
Message 3 of 5
John060675
Valued Contributor

Thank you, I will call tomorrow.  If I get no where, then I suppose my next course will be a letter.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update yet?
 ......anyluck with old JC Penny account ????

also when how long ago was your account closed
..or was it a chargeoff with balance paid /not paid?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.