Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting To Credit Bureaus

tag
jacksont1981
Frequent Contributor

Reporting To Credit Bureaus

I was wondering if your CC's have a zero balance, do they still report to the credit bureaus each month as 0 balance paying as agreed or nothing is reported since there is no statement to generate with nothing being on the card.
Started 6/2014 EX 594 EQ 617 TU 580 FICO's Goal is 740's and up
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

Re: Reporting To Credit Bureaus

@jacksont1981 wrote:
I was wondering if yourCC's have a zero balance, do they still report to the credit bureaus each month as 0 balance paying as agreed or nothing is reported since there is no statement to generate with nothing being on the card.

In my experience I have three cards that are always at 0 (walmart//buckle/StateFarm) and they still report. The credit report just shows it as a payment made on time. Maybe someone else will have a more detailed answer for you.

Message 2 of 8
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@jacksont1981 wrote:
I was wondering if your CC's have a zero balance, do they still report to the credit bureaus each month as 0 balance paying as agreed or nothing is reported since there is no statement to generate with nothing being on the card.

Yes. They still report indeffinitely unless you are the lender close it. It will sit there with a zero balance.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
TheFate
Established Contributor

It shows up as a 0 balance with a positive green mark for that month

Message 4 of 8
jacksont1981
Frequent Contributor

Thank you everyone for responding! This helps alot.

Message 5 of 8
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

It is a YMMV depending on the creditor.  For example, last month I had no activity on my Discover Card.  They didn't generate a statement, nor did they report to a CR.  I have heard Commenity(sp?) store cards are similar, but I do not have any.

On the other hand, I last used a Citi card back in 1998.  It reported positive history until 2008 when Citi closed the card due to inactivity.  It has since dropped of my EQ report, but still shows up on my Ex report.

Note, 0 balance due to paying off the card before the statement cuts is different than not having any activity on the card.

Message 6 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

The OK's are also there for either didn't report, or No Data, or similar in addition to payment made; however, if you check the date of last activity (or date updated as I think TU puts it) it may not be increasing as Walmart for certain doesn't report unless there's a statement balance... at least as of 2 months ago when I last pulled my reports.  

I highly suggest spot checking your reports from time to time and even rotate the balances you let report on cards just to make certain things are copasetic.

        
Message 7 of 8
jacksont1981
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Revelate, I will make sure I leave a dollar or 2 for Walmart then
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.