Established Member
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎03-09-2007

Reporting incorrectly

I have a paid collection from Bank of America back in 2001.  It is being reported as derogatory not paid is there anything I can do to get this off early?
Established Member
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎06-21-2007

Re: Reporting incorrectly

1. You can dispute to get it to show as paid. Best case they don't respond and it gets deleted. Likely case they update to the correct information.
2. You can try GW letter to ask them to delete all together (see example letters on this board)
3. You are getting close to the end of the 7 years, it's probably not actually affecting your score much. It will fall off soon anyway if the above methods don't work.
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 429
Registered: ‎04-07-2007

Re: Reporting incorrectly

When you dispute to get the status changed to paid, you have to be specific, or they may just note the account as paid, but the status itself may not change.  I'd suggest you not do this with an online dispute, but write a letter and enclose a copy of whatever documentation you have to reflect that this is a paid account.  Ask them to update with the new status code for paid charge off.   Good luck!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+