Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting recoding of Hard Inquiry to Soft

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Requesting recoding of Hard Inquiry to Soft

Has anyone had success requesting that a lender recode a recent hard inquiry to a soft inquiry? 

I was prequalified for Chase Freedom but was denied in the actual application, resulting in hard pull without new credit :/ hoping I can get them to recode the inquiry to soft so that it doesn't ding my CS!

I've seen on other threads of this forum that people have had success. If you have had success could you please share it below? Did you request via letter or over the phone? Are there any sample letters out there for this type of request? 

Looking for any and all advice!! Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Requesting recoding of Hard Inquiry to Soft

@Anonymouswrote:

Has anyone had success requesting that a lender recode a recent hard inquiry to a soft inquiry? 

I was prequalified for Chase Freedom but was denied in the actual application, resulting in hard pull without new credit :/ hoping I can get them to recode the inquiry to soft so that it doesn't ding my CS!

I've seen on other threads of this forum that people have had success. If you have had success could you please share it below? Did you request via letter or over the phone? Are there any sample letters out there for this type of request? 

The chances of you getting Chase to change a HP to an SP is minimal at best.  The fact that you were denied doesn’t really change the fact that you applied and they had a legitimate purpose to do an HP.  Additionally the effects on your credit score from one HP is very small, if any, so I wouldn’t be too upset if they refuse to recode the inquiry.  Good luck.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have written to financial instituions and have had HP completely removed. You may wish to give it a try.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnonymousI have written to financial instituions and have had HP completely removed. You may wish to give it a try.

Can you provide some additional information here such as the institutions you contacted, what the HP was for, what you said to get it removed and what their responses were?

Message 4 of 8
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

I don't think you're going to have much of an argument with Chase, since their prequalification tool explicitly states that it's not an offer of credit. If it was easy to get HP's turned in to SP's when denied, I think a lot more people would be doing it. 

The only HP I've been successful in having removed was a duplicate when an online app froze with Audi Financial Services. This was three years ago, and all I did was call up Audi FS, tell them that the app froze, and it pulled my credit report twice. They removed one of them. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Huntington Bank, took two letters and two phone calls. It was for an auto loan. That was the hardest one. Credit One, took one phone call. It was for a CC that I decided to refuse. 5/3 Bank took one letter. It was for an auto loan. Capital One, took one letter (maybe two). It was for an auto loan. There were some other banks. I'll have to look through old records if I have them from three and a half years ago when I purchased my car and the dealer went inquiry crazy. Comcast, one letter. I decided to go with AT&T for Wi-Fi. I've only had HP removed when I didn't utilize their credit.

To me its like those that use the back door. A decision was made, someone doesn't like what happened, they pursue it for a different ending.

Edit: Just found another one an archived CR from CK: RBS Citizens NA. I think it's just called Citizens Bank. This was also an auto loan. It must have been an easy one since I don't remember much about this one.

Message 6 of 8
sueblue34
Frequent Contributor

I wish I could get my Discover inquiry removed since it didn’t result add a credit line. That would lessen the amount of inquires I have 6. Still gardening til they fall off but this would be a good option.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Write a letter to Discover, it's worth a try

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.