Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Result of EQ and EX dispute

tag
BlueNightStar
Regular Contributor

Result of EQ and EX dispute

It's a miracle. Both EQ and EX deleted the CA account I disputed. The BBB has also forwarded my complaint against AT&T and ERS to AT&T for review.

I absolutely cannot believe this process works. Thank you so much to everyone here because I would have never thought I stood a chance of defending myself.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Result of EQ and EX dispute

It appears that the debt collector chose not to respond to the CRA and verify the accuracy of their reporting, for whatever reason.

It might be that they are no longer actively collecting on the debt, or have had their collection authority terminated by the OC.  They probably just didnt want to take the time or effort to respond.  It does not necessarily mean that they agree that their reporting was inaccurate, so it might not prevent another debt collector from picking up the ball, and reporting at a later date.

What were your reasons for disputing the accuracy of their reporting?

Congratulations on your success!

Message 2 of 5
BlueNightStar
Regular Contributor

I guess I should have been more clear - I really didn't owe this money and reported it on another thread.

I cancelled my AT&T cell phone service last winter, paid final bill in full by due date. What shows up on my credit report in April of 2011? A CA report for AT&T cell phone bill of $58. I never received a collection letter and had no idea what it was for.

While chatting with AT&T customer service he tells me it's because my payment was 60 days late but he confirms my balance due is 0. I ask him to tell me the payment date and he repeats the due date of my final bill. I tell him it is illegal to report a collection that is not true and he disconnects. After reviewing my reports I notice the late pay is dated in 2008 and it shows a balance due of $58.

So, it looked like I skipped out on a bill in 2008 and they had to send me to collections.

I have 2 more baddies to deal with but I actually want to pay for those because I know they are mine. I just haven't figure out the best process to do this yet. I'm still new Smiley Happy Thanks for your response.

Message 3 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@BlueNightStar wrote:

I guess I should have been more clear - I really didn't owe this money and reported it on another thread.

I cancelled my AT&T cell phone service last winter, paid final bill in full by due date. What shows up on my credit report in April of 2011? A CA report for AT&T cell phone bill of $58. I never received a collection letter and had no idea what it was for.

While chatting with AT&T customer service he tells me it's because my payment was 60 days late but he confirms my balance due is 0. I ask him to tell me the payment date and he repeats the due date of my final bill. I tell him it is illegal to report a collection that is not true and he disconnects. After reviewing my reports I notice the late pay is dated in 2008 and it shows a balance due of $58.

So, it looked like I skipped out on a bill in 2008 and they had to send me to collections.

I have 2 more baddies to deal with but I actually want to pay for those because I know they are mine. I just haven't figure out the best process to do this yet. I'm still new Smiley Happy Thanks for your response.

The AT&T guy hung up on you??  Smiley Very Happy That is awesome.

When we dumped AT&T, we went round and round with their in-house collections. I had customer service agreeing with me on one line, and their in-house collections threatening me on another.

Congrats on the successful dispute.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 5
BlueNightStar
Regular Contributor

Thank you. I'm not good at these kinds of things, I always assume I will lose and the big guys will win. I was particularly impressed with the BBB who acted as if my little $58 complaint was important.

I still have internet and cable service with AT&T. Obviously they don't even care about retaining their current customers or checking their own records to see if someone has other services with them.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.