Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returned Purchases

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Returned Purchases

This has got to one of the dumbest ideas I've heard on building credit.  I mean, if one's going to do this, mind as well do it right.  Such as, buy the item from Nordstrom who will refund in cash, even if a CC had been used.

Message 11 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

This has got to one of the dumbest ideas I've heard on building credit.  I mean, if one's going to do this, mind as well do it right.  Such as, buy the item from Nordstrom who will refund in cash, even if a CC had been used.

Right.  I think the person saying this probably misunderstood this technique for building rewards.   Nothing to do with CRAs.

Message 12 of 23
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Colombianking wrote:

He would buy something before the credit card reports to the CRA's and then return the item the next day which demonstrates at the next report to the CRA's that the bill was paid.

There are much simpler ways to show a balance than to waste time with this idiotic method.

And buying stuff just to return it the next day just to show the CRA's?  

This dude  seriously should have been crowd-beaten on the spot.  Smiley LOL

+1

I just go to CVS if i have 2 and purchase a few things i need anyways there and use one of the cards i dont use at all really to just keep them active. I also buy myself Giftcards on amazon for myself to keep them active if i feel to lazy to walk a few blocks to CVS 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 13 of 23
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Kenny wrote:

@Colombianking wrote:

i was at a seminar on building credit and someone in the crowd mentioned a way he built credit ... He would buy something before the credit card reports to the CRA's and then return the item the next day which demonstrates at the next report to the CRA's that the bill was paid.... but won't the credit card company close the card if they see you doing this all the time? Is this something you do every once in a while commingled with other purchases... Ideas ? Thoughts?

Just silly, to me. All you have to do is a buy a piece of gum to show usage. What's the goal in this? If anything, just wastes a lot of people's time.. including their own.

Plus with Amazon, Bestbuy , Costco from what ive read will Blacklist you from shopping there ever again ( Amazon) to never returning items again ( Bestbuy).  

Amazon knows internally whats the limit they set up for you for returns and if you cross it they will close out your account and if i remember your family members accounts as well so you or your family can never shop on Amazon ever again. This is from what ive read around but you can Google this subject.

Bestbuy takes your iD and goes to this database that they use which is used by a bunch of different companies to track returns so they will know if your'e a serial returner and eventually barred from Returning items. 

Costco  and I assume Bj's and Sam's club which work off memberhsips will have the same policy and thus while I find Costco's return policy great if you ever abuse it they will know and do something about it

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 14 of 23
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

@Colombianking wrote:

i was at a seminar on building credit and someone in the crowd mentioned a way he built credit ... He would buy something before the credit card reports to the CRA's and then return the item the next day which demonstrates at the next report to the CRA's that the bill was paid.... but won't the credit card company close the card if they see you doing this all the time? Is this something you do every once in a while commingled with other purchases... Ideas ? Thoughts?

Just silly, to me. All you have to do is a buy a piece of gum to show usage. What's the goal in this? If anything, just wastes a lot of people's time.. including their own.

Plus with Amazon, Bestbuy , Costco from what ive read will Blacklist you from shopping there ever again ( Amazon) to never returning items again ( Bestbuy).  

Amazon knows internally whats the limit they set up for you for returns and if you cross it they will close out your account and if i remember your family members accounts as well so you or your family can never shop on Amazon ever again. This is from what ive read around but you can Google this subject.

Bestbuy takes your iD and goes to this database that they use which is used by a bunch of different companies to track returns so they will know if your'e a serial returner and eventually barred from Returning items. 

Costco  and I assume Bj's and Sam's club which work off memberhsips will have the same policy and thus while I find Costco's return policy great if you ever abuse it they will know and do something about it

Best Buy checks ID, even with a receipt?

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 15 of 23
Open123
Super Contributor

ilovelisa wrote:receipt?

Best Buy stipulates on the receipt their right to refuse a return for any reason.

Message 16 of 23
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Best Buy stipulates on the receipt their right to refuse a return for any reason.

I also would not use this method at Best Buy. IIRC, they still charge restocking fees.

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 17 of 23
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

@Colombianking wrote:

Best Buy checks ID, even with a receipt?

Yes unless it is prohibited by law

Message 18 of 23
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

I also would not use this method at Best Buy. IIRC, they still charge restocking fees.

No they don't. I have returned items like Tablets without a restocking fee. 

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kenny wrote:

Or buy a stick of gum and return it. Best of both worlds.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.