Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Review my PDF Letter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Review my PDF Letter

I recently got a reply from a DV letter to a CA. They only included some statements, not all of the material I requested. The debt is far out of SOL, and according to lawyers I spoke to though they may TRY to claim the payments I made last year re-set SOL, the fact that it was past SOL, that there was no contract signed by me, and the fact it is a charge-off would make the results iffy either way.

FYI they have the debt listed as $2k, the original debt they bought was $1,300, and they have repeatedly offered me settlements for about 60% of that.

Accordingly, I drafted a PDF/Settlement letter, if anyone has any better ideas I'd love to hear them Smiley Happy

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to inform you that the validity of this debt is disputed.

For one thing, you did not provide me with full Documentation as you are required to, among the missing documents:

• Copies of all signed vouchers from the date account was opened until default
• Signed credit application between myself and the original creditor
• Copies of all statements from the date account opened until default
• Proof of agreement that you were hired by the Original creditor (creditor as defined by the FDCPA) or
• A copy of the contract Professional Coll Consul purchased the alleged debt.
• If the alleged debt was purchased, provide a copy of an agreement between Professional Coll Consul and myself, signed by me, stating that I have a contractual responsibility to Professional Coll Consul for the alleged debt
• Provide proof that Professional Coll Consul is bonded/Licensed for debt collecting in New York State

In any event, this is a time-barred debt (and has been so for at least two years) and any attempt at legal action will be responded to and counter-sued as such.

In the spirit of compromise and to save further wasted time and effort on our respective parts, I am willing to pay $300 on this account if you agree to immediate deletion of this account from any and all credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion).

The purpose of this settlement is merely to have this item removed from my credit files. It is not to be construed as an acknowledgment of liability for this debt in any form.

If you agree to the terms and accept this agreement, certified funds for the settlement amount of twenty-five dollars ($300.00) will be sent to Collection Agency in exchange for full deletion of ALL references regarding this account from my credit files and full satisfaction of the debt. As certified funds will be used for payment, there shall be no waiting period regarding the deletion of this account from the credit reporting agencies.

Collection Agency agrees to delete ALL information regarding this account from the credit reporting agencies WITHIN TEN CALENDAR (10) DAYS following receipt of payment as specified above and will not discuss the terms of this settlement with anyone, excluding your client on this account. If contacted by any third party, including credit-reporting agencies, Collection Agency will not acknowledge that any settlement offer was made, accepted or executed and will, in fact, deny knowledge of any such account. Collection Agency agrees to never report this account again to any collection agencies, to not sell the account to another collection agency or third-party, or to take any legal recovery action in the future. Payment is considered full satisfaction of the debt in perpetuity.

If you agree to the above terms, please prepare a letter on your company letterhead explicitly agreeing to the same terms as the above settlement offer and have it signed by an authorized representative of Collection Agency. It will be implied that this letter shall constitute a legally binding contract, enforceable under the laws of my state.

Your response must be postmarked no later than 15 days from your receipt of this settlement offer or this offer will be withdrawn and I will request full validation of this alleged debt, as provided for by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
Please address all correspondence regarding this account to:
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Review my PDF Letter

nyccc2 wrote:
I recently got a reply from a DV letter to a CA. They only included some statements, not all of the material I requested. The debt is far out of SOL, and according to lawyers I spoke to though they may TRY to claim the payments I made last year re-set SOL, the fact that it was past SOL, that there was no contract signed by me, and the fact it is a charge-off would make the results iffy either way.

FYI they have the debt listed as $2k, the original debt they bought was $1,300, and they have repeatedly offered me settlements for about 60% of that.

Accordingly, I drafted a PDF/Settlement letter, if anyone has any better ideas I'd love to hear them Smiley Happy

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to inform you that the validity of this debt is disputed.

For one thing, you did not provide me with full Documentation as you are required to, among the missing documents:

• Copies of all signed vouchers from the date account was opened until default
• Signed credit application between myself and the original creditor
• Copies of all statements from the date account opened until default
• Proof of agreement that you were hired by the Original creditor (creditor as defined by the FDCPA) or
• A copy of the contract Professional Coll Consul purchased the alleged debt.
• If the alleged debt was purchased, provide a copy of an agreement between Professional Coll Consul and myself, signed by me, stating that I have a contractual responsibility to Professional Coll Consul for the alleged debt
• Provide proof that Professional Coll Consul is bonded/Licensed for debt collecting in New York State

In any event, this is a time-barred debt (and has been so for at least two years) and any attempt at legal action will be responded to and counter-sued as such.

In the spirit of compromise and to save further wasted time and effort on our respective parts, I am willing to pay $300 on this account if you agree to immediate deletion of this account from any and all credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion).

The purpose of this settlement is merely to have this item removed from my credit files. It is not to be construed as an acknowledgment of liability for this debt in any form.

If you agree to the terms and accept this agreement, certified funds for the settlement amount of twenty-five dollars ($300.00) will be sent to Collection Agency in exchange for full deletion of ALL references regarding this account from my credit files and full satisfaction of the debt. As certified funds will be used for payment, there shall be no waiting period regarding the deletion of this account from the credit reporting agencies.

Collection Agency agrees to delete ALL information regarding this account from the credit reporting agencies WITHIN TEN CALENDAR (10) DAYS following receipt of payment as specified above and will not discuss the terms of this settlement with anyone, excluding your client on this account. If contacted by any third party, including credit-reporting agencies, Collection Agency will not acknowledge that any settlement offer was made, accepted or executed and will, in fact, deny knowledge of any such account. Collection Agency agrees to never report this account again to any collection agencies, to not sell the account to another collection agency or third-party, or to take any legal recovery action in the future. Payment is considered full satisfaction of the debt in perpetuity.

If you agree to the above terms, please prepare a letter on your company letterhead explicitly agreeing to the same terms as the above settlement offer and have it signed by an authorized representative of Collection Agency. It will be implied that this letter shall constitute a legally binding contract, enforceable under the laws of my state.

Your response must be postmarked no later than 15 days from your receipt of this settlement offer or this offer will be withdrawn and I will request full validation of this alleged debt, as provided for by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
Please address all correspondence regarding this account to:

Don't know if you meant not to put the CA's name in the places marked in red or not, as you did put it in other places. Just wanted to point that out to you. And the written dollar amount. Otherwise looks good.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a few typos to correct:

Where it has the offer amount you wrote twenty five dollars instead of the $300
Where it says "Collection Agency" input the name of the CA specifically, DO NOT use a generic term
Make sure to add  the acct number they are reporting on (you might have done that in the real letter) 

It looks solid otherwise, good luck.

Message 3 of 13
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

I would try to be a little less wordy, try to streamline the text by using bullets.

Also, $300 is not a good offering if you're looking for PFD. I haven't had a PFD work yet, except with an attorney re: a judgment stemming from back rent. And in that case, I offerred to pay 60% of the debt.

What you should realize about CAs and sold debt, is that they need to make at 55% of the debt - that's what they typically pay for it, so you have to enable them to make some money -- I know that Lady Scarlett doesn't think we should ever contribute to the bottom line of a CA, but if you want them to seriously consider PFD then you need give them some incentive. In fact, I offered Sprint a PIFforD for my DW and they're considering it... although they're not trying to give me anything in writing.

So think about that and reconsider the amount you're offering. You might get them to settle for $300, but it's unlikely they'll break company policy for less than what they paid for the debt in the first place. They're not trying to clear up accounts, but make as much money as they can. The CSR at the CA gets a percentage of what he clears, so she's not looking to make deals.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

PayYouNever wrote:
IWhat you should realize about CAs and sold debt, is that they need to make at 55% of the debt - that's what they typically pay for it, so you have to enable them to make some money --

Hmmmmm ... my understanding was that they pay less than 10% for the debt.  Can anyone confirm?

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@PayYouNever wrote:

IWhat you should realize about CAs and sold debt, is that they need to make at 55% of the debt - that's what they typically pay for it, so you have to enable them to make some money --

Hmmmmm ... my understanding was that they pay less than 10% for the debt. Can anyone confirm?

The credit repair guys and credit attorney's I have spoken to say they buy these for pennies on the dollar, especially for an old account. He says aq $1,500 debt was probably purchased for $50 tops. I've paid them that much already (after reversing the 3 auto debits they did after I told them to stop).

IF these were not out of SOL I'd consider their settlement terms, but since it most likely is (it is a Cingular Account that according to them defaulted in 1/02) I am hoping they will just take what they can get. If they threaten suit I'll just agree to payment terms.
Message 6 of 13
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Here is a link to download a trial of MS Office 2007, since **bleep** seems you have plenty of typographical errors this will help you with spell check.

Message Edited by ngerasimatos on 03-18-2008 04:34 PM
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ngerasimatos wrote:
Here is a link to download a trial of MS Office 2007, since **bleep** seems you have plenty of typographical errors this will help you with spell check.

Message Edited by ngerasimatos on 03-18-2008 04:34 PM

Thanks, this was done and reviewed in Microsoft Word.

I have a question about which State I should refer to;

"It will be implied that this letter shall constitute a legally binding contract, enforceable under the laws of the State of NY."

The debt is for Cingular Wireless when I lived there, I live in NYC now and that is the address they have on file and the state they would sue me in.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do PDF's really get the CA to remove the item from your credit report?  I have spoke to all 3 credit agencies and have been told that just paying off the balance does not mean the item is going to come off.  I know 1 individual who sent in such a letter and was told by the CA that they would remove the negative item from their report.  3 months after the check cleared, the amount was listed on the report as paid but it was also still listed that it went to a CA.  Experian said that just paying the amount does not mean it is going to disapper from  the report as if it never existed at all.  If a PDF can remove CA issue, what else needs to be done?
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will never add to a CA's Bottom line

read

I will never have any account of mine go to a CA again!

BTW I wll pay my one and only CA IF AND ONLY IF they will delete (gotta be something in it for me).

Message Edited by Lady_Scarlet on 04-01-2008 07:38 PM
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.