Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revolving Accounts.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Revolving Accounts.

In the debt segment of my wifes score, it says she utilizes 85% of her 'available credit' or revolving credit. Total balance on revolving accounts says $28,996 . Well we have nowhere near that much active debt, she only has about $3,000 in open credit cards, and utilizes only 1% of that.

So I open her Report here on my FICO, and go to the revolving accounts section, then the "Open accounts" ... A lot of our charged off credit cards from 3 1/2 years ago are in there... Why? shouldnt these be closed accounts if they're charge-offs?

Why are these being reported as active debt?

What's the deal?

This is destroying our score.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Revolving Accounts.

Those charged off balances do count.  Chargeoff is just an internal accounting for a business telling their stockholders they don't expect to be able to collect.

So the debt amount counts and you do not get the benefit of the credit limit from those closed accounts.

If you can settle with the creditors, say for 25% of the balances, they will update to a zero balance.

Other than that, you have to file bankruptcy or wait out the 7 years to stop the hurt.

Do be careful about the statute of limitations for your state.  You may not want to poke the bear if they can still sue you, unless you have money to settle.  Also, if you make a partial payment, you reset the SOL, so don't do that.

You also are likely getting dinged with a collection account for the same chargeoffs, so you are getting hit twice.  But that's the way it works.  They want you to pay your bills.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So in the case where a Charged off credit card is ALSO assigned to collections, who would I deal with? The original credit card company, or the collections company? I understand what you're saying with the Statute of limitations.... these accounts are quickly approaching California statute of limitations, although we just moved to oregon, I'm not sure if the stature of limitations is based on the state where we originally established these accounts ( california ) or can it cross state lines & haunt us for another 2 years ? ( oregon stature of limitations is 6 years I believe )

Also, when you say partial payment, would settling the debt as you stated, for a lesser amount, count as a partial payment & mess with the SOL?

I have money to settle these, albeit, not for the full amount, but I could certainly do like 25%, & if that would eliminate the entire amount of reported debt for the utilization score, it would probably be worth it to me. We want to buy a home.

What would be unnacceptable though, is if I settled with the colection company for say $2,000 on a 10k account, but the original creditor was still reporting the 10k ( like you said, getting hit twice? )

How do I go about this? Can I work out a settlement without ackowledging the debt and messing with the SOLs? Who am I settling with? the collection company or the original creditor? both? ( god i hope not )

EDIT: Also... I have some settlement offers from these collections, example, I have one offering to settle for $2900 for an $11,000 account... can this be negotiated down? will they accept less than $2900? How much less?

assuming these can be settled, it's going to come down to which would cost more, settling the debts to attain conventional mortgage finance, or the Cost of FHA financing ( annual & upfront MIP ) Upfront MIP alone would be 4000-6000$, although I believe this is rolled into the total financined amount IE: we would only pay a portion of it if we could refinance a year or two after getting the mortgage. Assuming the upfront MIP can be rolled into the financing, & we could refnance in 2 years, The MIP might only cost us $2000-$3000 . So I wouldnt want to spend 5k + settling these. Of course that assumes rates do not move higher in that 2 year period, which is far from certain.

Message 3 of 8
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So in the case where a Charged off credit card is ALSO assigned to collections, who would I deal with? The original credit card company, or the collections company? I understand what you're saying with the Statute of limitations.... these accounts are quickly approaching California statute of limitations, although we just moved to oregon, I'm not sure if the stature of limitations is based on the state where we originally established these accounts ( california ) or can it cross state lines & haunt us for another 2 years ? ( oregon stature of limitations is 6 years I believe )

Also, when you say partial payment, would settling the debt as you stated, for a lesser amount, count as a partial payment & mess with the SOL?

I have money to settle these, albeit, not for the full amount, but I could certainly do like 25%, & if that would eliminate the entire amount of reported debt for the utilization score, it would probably be worth it to me. We want to buy a home.

How do I go about this? Can I work out a settlement without ackowledging the debt and messing with the SOLs?

As I understand it, if the account was actually "sold" to a collection agent versus "assigned" to a collection agent, then the original creditor would show a zero balance and the collection agent would show the balance including all the fees and interest.   If the account has merely been assigned to an agent for collection, both will show an amount due.

If there is a collection, you have to deal with the collection company regardless if they are agent or owner of the debt.  Good news is collection agents buy these for very little moneh and are usually much easier to get steep discounts from.

When I say don't reset the SOL by making a partial payment, I mean don't send them $100 or something to keep them off your back for awhile,  Thats messes it all up and resets the clock.

If you actually settle the debt for a discount, there is no debt to be subject to SOL any longer.

You might want to consider hiring a consumer lawyer to help you settle these accounts.  They would know what they are doing.

That said, people do settle their own accounts.    You can put in disclaimers about not admitting the debt is yours.

I would pick these off one at a time.  Try to settle for 10 cents on the dollar and they offer 50 cents and you find somwhere between 20 cents and 30 cents.

Some people say "look, I have a bunch of collections and I only have (some small amount of money).  I am interested in using my money to settle my debt completely, so that is the collection I'm going to pay.

I would so extensive research before doing this on my own, on this site and the other credit site.  There are sample letters, etc.  There are likely some ebooks on Amazon-- just run them by the board before assuming they are good advice.

Also, be sure to say you also want a PFD or pay for delete so the collection comes off when you pay the settlement amount.  Most will say no, but some obscure collection companies will say yes.  Regardless, after the fact you can ask the collection agents to give you a goodwill deletion even if they said no to PFD.

Most original credtors will not agree to delete the original chargeoff.  Once recent exception is Capital One has been agreeing to delete their original accounts when people have settled with the collection agencies.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is great information, thank you, I finally have some hope. I'm aware I should never acknowledge the debt, just word it as a transaction for the removal of derogatory information, and be sure to get everything in writing & on letter head... will get to work finding a good letter format, & then run it by here before I send it.

One thing I wonder about, might it not be better to try and & settle all of these around the same time? One creditor/collection company noticing your other accounts getting paid might give them a better bargaining position , ie: they know your trying to clean up your credit, so they get stickier on the amounts they'll settle for.

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

As for the charge-off reporting, simply view it as something derogatory that has been tacked on to your credit report, and otherwise does not affect the debt or your credit reporting.

As previously stated, a CO is simply an internal accounting measure that credtiors are required to take, and it does not affect the continued obligation by the consumer for the entire debt, and does not affect the ability to continue collection activittes, or refer or sell the debt to a debt collector.

It is essentilly a statement placed in your file that, at the time of the reporting, the debt is not expected to be paid.  If you do pay the debt, it does not negate that reporting, and does not require deletion of the reporting of the charge-off.

Message 6 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I open her Report here on my FICO, and go to the revolving accounts section, then the "Open accounts" ... A lot of our charged off credit cards from 3 1/2 years ago are in there... Why? shouldnt these be closed accounts if they're charge-offs? 

Closed doesn't mean that revolving utilization isn't impacted.  Closed can make matters worse in some cases since some closed accounts report at 100% since there is no availble credit.

@Anonymous wrote:

This is destroying our score.

That and having collections.  The collections are even bigger factors.

@Anonymous wrote:

Then you want to aim for removal of the collections.  That may be more difficult to negotiate with a settlement.

@Anonymous wrote:

Also... I have some settlement offers from these collections, example, I have one offering to settle for $2900 for an $11,000 account... can this be negotiated down? will they accept less than $2900? How much less?

We can't tell you that.  You have to negotiate and see,  It is not a universal matter.

Research very carefully before taking action and don't overlook the Rebuilding subforum.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have got some good responses here. If you want to attract more attention to your question you might want to consider reqorking the title. It is not really descriptive of your question in any way....

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.