Did you mean: 

SCORE UPDATE (+200)

tag
aftermath
Established Contributor

Re: SCORE UPDATE (+200)

butterflygirlinluv wrote:
Hey Aftermath!

Congratulations!! Very impressive and gives me lots of hope!!
I do have a question for ya, as I seem to be in the same boat YOU WERE IN! I have a couple of CO with Collection Agencies.
 Did you send the PFD letter to the OC or the CA?
Also, did you pay the full balance due or a percentage of the debt owed?? And did you state that in your letter?

Please help!! THank you!!

First question... Did these collection agencies purchase/acquire the OC account?  Or are they just collecting on behalf of the OC?  Is the CA showing up on your CR?

If they are only collecting, then PFD the OC.  The OC is more willing to abide by your terms and request if you offer to pay them back in full exactly what you owe them.  Remember, they are doing YOU a favor, and not the other way around.  So you have to satsify them in order for them to want to comply with your requests.

Also, remember to ask in your letter that once they receive your PIF, to have them tell their CA to TAKE A HIKE!
American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 31 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

GREAT JOB!! WOW!!!
Message 32 of 42
butterflygirlinluv
Regular Contributor

Aftermath..thank you!
THe CA is SHOWING on my CR. So, therefore I should contact the CA? Do you think I should DV them first? Or skip this step and right down and send them a PFD in FULL?
Message 33 of 42
aftermath
Established Contributor

Aftermath..thank you!
THe CA is SHOWING on my CR. So, therefore I should contact the CA? Do you think I should DV them first? Or skip this step and right down and send them a PFD in FULL?

Is the account in which the CA is collecting the debt for also showing on your CR?  If so, is it a CO status? Sold? Transferred?

Did the CA purchase the debt from the OC?  Or are they just collecting on their behalf?

Also, what type of collection is this? (CO CC? Medical?)

Message Edited by aftermath on 06-12-2008 11:38 AM
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Message 34 of 42
rom828
Established Contributor

Kat's commment:  "I thought your amazing score increase probably cost a pretty penny.  It's true what they say, "money talks". 

is so true, and highlights the lesson is aftermath's  'coat' story I think.

While you cannot buy your way to a good score, it can take a great deal of money, depending on the level of your debt, to take care of old accounts which in turn improves your score.

This is why we (who have been there) should all purpose to never let 'credit' become 'debt' again!!

Credit is a useful tool, but should not be abused.  And if you have any morality (or even if you just want to inprove your score to get more credit!), there comes a time when you have to pay the piper.

Certainly much easier and preferable to pay the piper before tons of interest and late fees are added!!

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 35 of 42
butterflygirlinluv
Regular Contributor

Is the account in which the CA is collecting the debt for also showing on your CR?  If so, is it a CO status? Sold? Transferred?

Did the CA purchase the debt from the OC?  Or are they just collecting on their behalf?

Also, what type of collection is this? (CO CC? Medical?)

AFTERMATH,

The OC is Credit One (CC) and the CA reporting is Cach, LLC. It is a CO. Credit One is not reporting just the CA.

How do I know if the CA purchased the debt? Should I call OC and ask?

I also have another account in Collections-Cingular and the CA is Afni. BUT AFNI is reporting this and AFNI-BLOOM is as well. SAME town/state, DIFFERENT PO BOXES and PHONE #"s...any advice on this?

Thank you sooo much!!!!!
Message 36 of 42
aftermath
Established Contributor

AFTERMATH,

The OC is Credit One (CC) and the CA reporting is Cach, LLC. It is a CO. Credit One is not reporting just the CA.

How do I know if the CA purchased the debt? Should I call OC and ask?

I also have another account in Collections-Cingular and the CA is Afni. BUT AFNI is reporting this and AFNI-BLOOM is as well. SAME town/state, DIFFERENT PO BOXES and PHONE #"s...any advice on this?

Thank you sooo much!!!!!

You can tell if the account was purchased by the CA by looking at Credit One on your credit report.  Under status, what does it report?  If it only says Charged Off, then you have an AWESOME chance of killing 2 birds with one stone, as long as it doesnt state that it was sold/transferred/factoring account.

In this case, write a PFD to Credit One.  Tell them you are willing to pay back every single penny that you owe them.  Also, explain your reason(s) as to why you have been late, and include any reference to any good evidence that you have to back it up(family death, job layoff, etc.)  Remember to be VERY courteous, respectful and also VERY apologetic as to gain some sympathy from them in regards to your request.  Also request that they have their collection agency's reporting be removed as well.  Remember, the collection agency works for the OC.  Disputes with a CA collecting on behalf of the OC will usually not fall through, because their orders are to collect money on their behalf.  They won't erase anything unless told to do so by their employer the OC.  Whatever the OC tells them to do, they will have to comply, they are basically their "employee".So dealing directly with the OC in this case is your best route.

Asuming everything will go smoothly:

1) PFD the OC
2) OC will accept offer and delete the negative information on your reports.
3) OC will order the CA to remove their reporting, and cease communication.
4) Cerdit report is now clean.

In regards to your Cingular, i've never dealt with the collection practices of a Cellular phone company, so i'm not too familiar with how to deal with them.  You can try to do the PFD as above with the OC and request the similar requests.

For both scenarios, if the OC will not accept your PFD, then PFD the CA.  Make sure they agree to removing their collections from  your credit reports before sending them any money.  Once the CA is satisfied with the payment, and after verifying that their collection is removed from your credit reports, GW to OC stating that you paid this debt to the CA and follow the same guidelines as above (be respectful, courteous, and apologetic.)

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Message Edited by aftermath on 06-12-2008 01:57 PM
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Message 37 of 42
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: SCORE UPDATE

Thanks for the congrats!

I've had roughly 9 years of credit, with missed/late payments here and there, a couple of collections, a couple of charge-offs, and high utilization.

I was very fortunate that I was able to negotiate these all on my first try without having to follow-up or re-dispute.  Every request I sent out was just taken care of without any contest.

I'm guessing you didn't have a CO with Cap One!  Those people won't budge with a firecracker under their behinds!

Great work tho!  Shows how determination & just the right wording takes care of all evils! 

BRAVO!!!!!!!  Smiley Very Happy

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 38 of 42
NikJ4
Established Contributor

aftermath wrote: You can tell if the account was purchased by the CA by looking at Credit One on your credit report.  Under status, what does it report?  If it only says Charged Off, then you have an AWESOME chance of killing 2 birds with one stone, as long as it doesnt state that it was sold/transferred/factoring account.

I have some that have been sold/transferred to CA from OC. How do I handle this with regards to getting them removed from my credit if I PFD? Do I have to negotiate with CA and OC? or still deal with OC?

Message 39 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!  You are an inspiration. 
Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.