Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOL'S

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOL'S

ok i have a quick question ...i found a site that lists all states and their statute of limitations..im asking about a cell phone bill where the DOFD was 2/2002...should this have been deleted off my account in 2006?.....i live in pennsylvania and the site says:

Pennsylvani Statute of Limitations

Contracts: 4 years, (used to be six).

Contracts under seal: 20 years.

Sale of goods under UCC: 4 years.

Negotiable instruments: 6 years (13 PA C.S.A. .§3118).

i remember one of the individual reports saying that it will fall off in Oct. or Nov. but i want it gone now if thats whats suppose to happen. Now does it make a difference that i now live in PA but the account was opened while i was living in VA??

Virginia Statutes of Limitation

Open account: 3 years from the last payment or last charge for goods or services rendered on the account.

Written contracts (non-UCC): 5 years.

Sale of goods under the UCC: 4 years.

Virginia Judgments: 10 years, and renewable (extended) to 20 years.

Foreign judgments: 10 years.

ALL COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOMED

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SOL'S

Fused (or was it SideWinder or Ilecs??? Brain's not being my friend this morning!) said that there's a Federal SoL that trumps state, that says SoL for cellphones is TWO years.

Give me a sec and I'll find a link for it! Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here you go!

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode47/usc_sec_47_00000415----000-.html
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep- federal SOL on "carriers" is 2 years

CRTP- (how long it can remain on your credit report) is based on FCRA  7 years past DOFD.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

oh ok.. so basically it can still remain on the reports for 7 years and they cant take legal action to collect it beyond 2

Thanks guys and gals!!
Message 5 of 8
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Be careful. They can still take legal action. The difference is that if they do you can use the SOL defense. If you don't show, they'll still probably get a default judgment.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks athensguy...but the other question wasnt answered...does it matter which state you lived in when the account was opened ?..or is the SOL only based off the state you currently live in?
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

They can sue you in the state the account was opened or the state you currently reside-

The SOL will be applied in the state the SUE you in.

Like we said- The Federal SOL on carriers trumps the state laws  and sets the SOL at 2 years.

UNSTOPPABLE wrote:
thanks athensguy...but the other question wasnt answered...does it matter which state you lived in when the account was opened ?..or is the SOL only based off the state you currently live in?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.