Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOS, HELP!?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOS, HELP!?

My wife and I are going through a very difficult time with obtaining a pre-qual due to our credit scores.  Our current home is on the market and the house we want to purchase will need to be built.  We live in Austin, TX and the housing market is on the up.  Our area is a hot spot right now so we feel confident that we will be selling soon.  I have been doing very well in my job/career and this home was our first.  Now that our finances have improved and we have 2 children, it's time to move up and into a better neighborhood. 

When we bought our first home in 2005, the rules were a lot different.  Now it seems next to impossible to get a home loan.  I have a friend of mine who is a mortgage broker and he's been helping us but I'm really starting to worry.  The biggest hurdle we have right now is credit.  We hired a credit repair person last August and all he's done is dispute items and was successful in removing a few old items.  Since lenders need the disputed items removed, we've had to go back and personally request them to remove the disputed status...so the credit repair person was not much help.  For the last 9 months, we've been shooting for a 620 score because that's what our mortgage friend advised us to aim for.  Well we just found out last week that with a score of 620-660 we'll need a 20% down payment + closing costs, with a 660 we can do a 80/10/10 (10% DP) and with a 680 or better we can do a 80/15/5...5% being our DP.  Just to get personal for a bit; I gross $108K per year, excluding bonuses, etc.  My wife works part time and brings home about $12K during the school year.  We have never been late on my wife's $500 car payment...that will be paid off in October.  We've never been late on our home loan...we have some credit card debt; 3 cards with a credit line of $300 (yes, 3 hundred dollars) each.  Those have been paid down to a 10% balance.  There were a couple of old collections on our reports; maybe 2-3 with a combined total of $300....again these were all old and have been paid off.  The last time we pulled credit was in March our scores were: for me - 584, 531, 525; my wife's - 621, 588, 571.

Again we've paid everything down or completely off.  We left the 10% balance on the credit cards because we were advised to.  My wife and I both use myfico.com score watch and her score on the fico site is 617 and mine is 603.  These should be going up again soon but we just don't know how much it will increase. 

I'm sorry to keep rambling but we have nowhere to turn.  No one can give us any hard information or lead-times.  Everything is a guess or a vague assumption at best.  Our house is on the market and will probably sell soon and then we find out last week that we need our scores to be much higher than the original 620 goal.  It's simply sickening and my wife can't get any sleep.  What should be a fun and exciting time has turned into a frustrating one.  No one will think outside the box for us.  No one can look at our credit and say..."do A, B, C and you're there"....no one can say "you'll be there in 30, 60 or 90 days if you do A, B, C".  No one takes into account that we make very good money and have no debt, that we have never been late on our home payments, our auto loans, we've paid off 2 cars in the past 4 years.  It just blows me away that we can do all these things and make good money and still have a horrible credit score.

I don't know what to do...seriously we're completely lost.  I would love to visit (email) with someone that has more answers for us; perhaps some creative suggestions, ideas outside the box...we need some positive hope.  I apologize for the long post.  I'm thankful if you have time to read it and I'm even more grateful if you're able to reply.  I hope you all have a great day!!  Thanks again.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: SOS, HELP!?

Paid or unpaid collections count in the same negative manner.  Try getting these removed by sending good will letters to the collection agency reporting them.  They seem to be your only negatives so you may see a score increase if all are deleted.

Keep your reporting balance on your CC at 10% or below.

Do you have a car loan or other type of installment loan?  FICO likes to see a mix of credit.  However, since you are trying to get a house, I would not try to get any credit now.   What is your AAoA?  What is your oldest reporting account?

Repairing your credit takes time and effort.  I cannot say that by having the collections accounts removed your score will raise 50 points in 2 months.  Too many variables in FICO scoring and credit reporting.  What I do know is that the 3 collections, paid or not, are considered negatives on your CR.  If you can get them removed you will see an increase in your score.  By how much, I cannot be sure.  You also need a mix of credit but as I said, you do not want to try to get anything now, in the middle of trying to get a house. 

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply!  I really appreciate your time.

I've read about good will letters in the past.  I've even called these collection agencies requesting them to delete the collection but they all told me no....that they can not do this.  I've heard about other having better luck but I'm not sure what the best tactics are.  Do you have any suggestions for having these removed?

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 20
fused
Moderator Emeritus

hvc, you mentioned you pulled you and your wife's "3" scores last March, which "website" did you pull these "3" scores from? Also, are you sure all six of the reports pulled (3 for your wife and 3 for you) are reporting your 3 credit card balances at 10%?

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply Fused;

Our mortgage broker friend pulled our credit reports back in March...That is where those numbers came from.   Those numbers from March do not reflect the 10% balances.  We are on myfico.com and see that our scores have come up since paying those balances down.  We need to be at a 660, at least.  My wife is at 617, as of today.  I'm at 603.

Message 5 of 20
tray
Valued Contributor

Hi hvc1974 sorry to hear about your situation hopefully everything goes well for you and your family in the end getting reports cleaned up is a struggle and unfortunately takes time and only you can make sure it is a smooth transition not a credit repair agency which is out there to make money on other people problems.  My suggestion is for you to list your creditors of the collections that you have there are alot of people on this forum including myself who have been in the same situation in which we can help you with goodwill letters giving you names of higher up personnel like a ceo so you will have a better shot with a goodwill deletion.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 20
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Have you and your wife pulled your 3 free reports ( 3 for you and 3 for her) in the last 12 months at annual credit report? If not, I advise that the two of you do. Just get the reports, forget about the scores at that site, lenders don't use those scores. Take a very careful look at all of the reports, look for even the "smallest" differences bewteen the 3 of them.

Some more questions!

- How old is your oldest account? Do not include collections? The same goes for your wife

- Are you sure there in no other bad stuff on your reports, or hers, besides the old paid collections and lates?

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow...thank you Tray!!  This is fantastic!

I'm very intersted in learning how I can get these items deleted.  Like I said, I've tried calling and politely asking to have the items removed...especially since the items were paid.  What I found out is because these collections are old I probably made it worse paying them which brings the collection into a more recent activity.  Whereas if it was left alone, then it would have shown as unpaid but it would be an old collection.  So I actually did more damage by paying them than if I had not.  Everyone I talked to was extremely kind but were unwilling to help me even after knowing that the balances were paid in full and we're trying to buy a home.

Here is what I have on my report:

• Finance Systems of Greenbay: opened 01/08, the balance was $149 and it was paid in full earlier this year.
  • CCA; opened 02/06, balance is $104.  I called this company and asked them to delete this collection if I paid the balance in full but they refused.  If I pay this one off, it is likely my credit score will decrease...so I have not paid this one off for that sole reason.
  • Sarma Collections: this is an old one as well and is a perfect example of why paying these can be harmful....it was "opened" 6/09, balance was paid 11/09, and it shows last active 11/09 because I paid it off then.  Again this is the reason I have not paid off the previous CCA balance...a measly $104.

Thanks again for your time and assistance.

Message 8 of 20
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Have you considered going with an FHA loan?  You wouldn't need a 10-20% down payment, and many lenders are still approving applicants with credit scores around 620.  You should ask your LO friend about this, or perhaps asking another LO, if your friend is not familiar with FHA.

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!!  Unfortunately we can't do FHA because of the price of the home and Texas' rules.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.