Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPOUSE OPENED CREDIT CARD IN MY NAME -HAS BEEN CHARGED OFF

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

SPOUSE OPENED CREDIT CARD IN MY NAME -HAS BEEN CHARGED OFF

My DH opend a credit card in my name and never paid it. I did not know anything about it until I was called at work by a collection agency. The amount is $3500. Is there anything that I can do since I did not authorize this? If I am trying to build a home in a year..should I pay it in full or agree to settle for less? Can I have it totally removed from my report since it was not me? Thank you in advance for your help!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SPOUSE OPENED CREDIT CARD IN MY NAME -HAS BEEN CHARGED OFF

Wanna borrow a gun?  I won't let DH near my cards (I worked hard to get them) - if he ever did this to me I would be calling a divorce lawyer.

Other than charging your DH (via the police) not a whole lot.  HE OWES YOU BIG TIME for this one.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pinkdress88 wrote:
My DH opend a credit card in my name and never paid it. I did not know anything about it until I was called at work by a collection agency. The amount is $3500. Is there anything that I can do since I did not authorize this? If I am trying to build a home in a year..should I pay it in full or agree to settle for less? Can I have it totally removed from my report since it was not me? Thank you in advance for your help!

at this point it's prosecute dh, or try pfd letter. good luck, been there.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So sorry to hear that Pink. That is inexcusable.

I think what he did to you fits the classic definition of identity theft and credit card fraud.

I agree with Scarlet. Let the divorce attorney handle it.
Message 4 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Pinkdress88 wrote:

Wow, this story makes me a shamed to be a man. Truly awful! The damage has been done but here are your options.

1.) If your state allows it, place a freeze, not a fraud alert on all three of your credit files, (EQ, EX and TU) this will help prevent further illegal activities by your hubby.

2.) I know this is really not your debt, but doing a 1-2 punch (disputing as not my with the credit reporting agencies and simultaneously debt validating with the CA) might get this collection deleted. The problem is I'm concerned what might be revealed by choosing this method, you're hubby could get nailed for fraud.

3.) To avoid any possible criminal proceedings, demand your husband pay this himself or else! Offer a PFD (read the link below and use the PFD sample letter as a guidline) to the CA. If you choose to go the PFD route, DO NOT sign the letter just type your name.

Credit scoring 101

PFD Letter

As a side note, I'm not a mortgage expert but you might be required to pay this collection before gettting financing on a construction loan. Perhaps lady_scarlet will chime back in with more info on this. GL and let us know what the outcome is.

P.S. You should punish your hubby by letting us scold him in the forums for weeks on end for his poor, stupid and unloving behavior.

Message Edited by fused on 11-12-2007 07:51 PM
Message 5 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Of course I'm not a lawyer and hate the idea of divorce but this is not something I will offer any advice on...for me it's advice on money and credit matters only. I'm sorry this happened to you!
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shane is the one to say for sure about the collection paid/unpaid - it's recent so it will be a problem if only for scores and rates.

He needs to pay this!  I would try for a PFD after DVing them.

My DH knows better than to ever do this - he felt my wrath when he bought the Cadillac w/o telling me (a 3rd car payment) and that was after trading in his 2005 for a 2006 (again not telling me until after the fact) and ending up with an $850 car payment.

Sometimes I wonder if they even have a brain....

I am hoping that your wrath is as fierce as mine - he deserves it.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.