cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS AFTER WHEN FILLING A DISPUTE ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS AFTER WHEN FILLING A DISPUTE ?

my score is in the high 600 now ..but i have a couple of items i have supporting documents for ....it has my private detailed information on some of them ......which i am somewhat uncomfortable sending out ......what do the credit bureau do with these documents after the dispute is over ?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS AFTER WHEN FILLING A DISPUTE ?

If you dispute via a CRA, they are required to send all relevant information peratining to the dispute to the furnisher of the disputed information. While the CRA uses discretion in determining what is or is not relevant, you can expect any supporting documentation submitteed with your dispute to also be sent to the furnisher of the disputed information.  the CRA will most certainly has internal procedures related to how long they retain such information, which could be necessary should any civil actions or subpoenas be received.  I would write the CRA and request a copy of any procedures they have in place.

The FCRA and various privacy acts regulate the CRAs, and they most likely have little bisiness need for disclosure of your information.

I would be more concerned with the fact that it will likely fall into the hands of the furnisher/business, be they a creditor or debt collector.

Various federal laws control both their dissemination and disclosure of such information.  The Gramm-Leach-Bliley (GLB) Safeguards Rule, for example, requires institutions to take steps to protect sensitive customer information, and the rules requiring proper disposal of inforrmation derived from credit reporting, set forth at 69 Fed Reg 68690 (11/24/2004) also apply.

Can you redact parts that might be of particular concern without affecting the evidentiary value of the documents?

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.