Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae - APR reduction and GW possibility

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sallie Mae - APR reduction and GW possibility

If the interest rate for student loan is 12% then it is most likely a private student loan since federal loans have interest rate caps. You cannot consolidate private student loans with great fixed rates like the federal loans. Generally consolidating private loans involves variable rate loans and long repayment terms, so they may not offer the benefits that the OP wants. I also agree with another about the tax benefits of keeping the student loan vs. consolidating with a private loan.
Message 11 of 12
Roodog2k
Established Member

Re: Sallie Mae - APR reduction and GW possibility

Yeah, thats true.  I was assuming that she had a federal loan from Sallie...

smg53 wrote:
If the interest rate for student loan is 12% then it is most likely a private student loan since federal loans have interest rate caps. You cannot consolidate private student loans with great fixed rates like the federal loans. Generally consolidating private loans involves variable rate loans and long repayment terms, so they may not offer the benefits that the OP wants. I also agree with another about the tax benefits of keeping the student loan vs. consolidating with a private loan.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.