Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Drop

tag
babbles
Established Contributor

Score Drop

Hello, Does anyone have an idea why my scores would drop on a mortgage that closed/transferred that had been reviewed over 34 months with no missed payments on any accounts in my file?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
My_dog_FICO
Regular Contributor

Re: Score Drop

Babbles,

I'm going to guess that it is due to your credit mix. FICO likes to have a diversification between Revolving, Installment, Open, and Mortgage. If you've recently closed one of these 4 types, it can negatively affect the magical FICO calculation.

Anyone else wanna take a W-A-G?

Ruff!
11/14/07 TU 567 - EQ 561 - EX 577
11/29/07 TU ??? - EQ 573 - EX ???
12/10/07 TU ??? - EQ 579 - EX ??? - 60% util - OOPS!
Message 2 of 4
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

I agree with PP.

Having the mortgage was boosting your scores until it was paid off.  The point loss is not punative... it's just the loss of the bonus it was providing.  It still is positively impacting your FICOs even though it is closed... just not as much, obviously. 
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 3 of 4
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Yep.......having a mortgage is a good thing. Not for you, but for your score.
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.