Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Went Down, Why?

tag
John060675
Valued Contributor

Score Went Down, Why?

I pulled my FICO scores on 10/1/07 and then again just now (10/6/07).  I know it is a quick repull, but I was bored. 

Anyway, my EX and EQ stayed the same. However, my TU went from 691 to 687.

My question is why?  Nothing at all has changed.  The utilization is the same, no new inquiries, no new accounts showing, no old account gone, nothing.  The only thing that did change was my car payment showed a lower balance from my on time payment.  I would think this would be a positive change.

What gives?  I am so close to 700 that I was hoping to see at least the same if not a 1 or 2 point increase.  But a 4 point drop?  Someone needs to explain this to me. 

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
John060675
Valued Contributor

Re: Score Went Down, Why?

Bump........................Sorry, I just do not understand the drop, and I want to make sure I stop whatever is causing it up front.  Thank you.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you carrying a lot of revolving debt? If so and the balances haven't changed in the past month then that could affect your scores 2 or 3 points. Did you open any new trade-lines meaning put a balance on another card to lower the balance on one card? Changing the amount of credit lines being used at any one time is a factor. Have any of your credit limits lowered or is there a creditor that's reporting a different balance than Experian and Equifax? Did you close a trade line affecting your average age? So many variables so many reasons, sometimes I swear the scores are pulled out like a bingo ball machine. The one thing that kills me about FICO scores is that they use huge databases of statistical data which groups you into known categories (read: credit scores of others who have been in your exact or similar situation before). Those categories and groups forecast if you are a likely candidate for bankruptcy or defaulting on any given creditor based on how the people before you performed. Remember FICO really isn't a grade like you get on homework assignments, it is a risk assessment of how well you'll perform in repaying a creditor and statistically how likely any lender is in getting their money back. The higher the score the less likely you'll fall into one of those "dead-beat" categories. Hope that makes sense.

- AZQ
Message 3 of 6
John060675
Valued Contributor

AZQ,

That is what is strange.  I had less than 1% utilization last wee when I pulled my report, and I have the exact same utilization now.  There has been no changes to TL's.  All dates are reported correctly. 

As I stated in the first post, the only difference is that it shows a lower amount owed on a car payment on the latest pull, because I made my payment on time.  Nothing other than this has changed, and this should be positive!

I just do not understand.

Message 4 of 6
CreditBob
Established Contributor

print off both pulls and put them side by side. See if you can notice anything different that you may have possible over looked. I hope this helps you out.
Message 5 of 6
John060675
Valued Contributor

Thanks CreditBob,

That is what is got me so upset, I did place the 2 reports side by side.  Nothing other than an on time payment for my car was different.

It is very strange.  Another FICO mystery it seems.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.