cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score dropped 11 points after paying off my Dell account???

tag
dyneemo

Score dropped 11 points after paying off my Dell account???

I have been working very diligently on my credit. A little over a year ago, Dell Financial Services messed up my account and sent me to collections due to their system kicking out my autopayment and I hadn't noticed until it was too late. My scroe dropped drastically due to their reporting my account as 90 days past due even though I fixed the issue. This is a long story that was already dealt with. The account was closed (by me) at that time; I still had a balance due.

Since then, my credit score has gone up over 90 points in all three bureaus. However, I just paid my remaining balanced with DFS and brought the total owed down to $0. I thought this would help my credit score, but my score in Equifax dropped by 11 points! Why is this?? What is the point in paying off credit if it lowers your score? I have other credit card accounts that I have paid down to $0 as well (they are all still opened) but you'd think that if you pay off an account that is closed, you'd get an increased score.

Also, I've noticed that when I pay a larger amount on a credit card and the balance lowers, my score does too. Sometimes if I charge on a card, my score goes up?? I don't understand this. But what I really want to know is why my score would DROP when I pay off a credit account??

Dy

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Berk
Established Contributor

Re: Score dropped 11 points after paying off my Dell account???

But what I really want to know is why my score would DROP when I pay off a credit account??

Ah, yes, the question everyone wants an answer to. The experts will tell you that there is no one simple answer for this due to the complexities of scoring algorithms and that there is generally more than just that singe tranaction that goes into determining our score even though all we can see is the single transaction. However, one point on which there seems to be consensus is that once the loan is paid off that limit is no longer reflected on your report, thus potentially affecting your overal utilization.

I know this, I have had my score increase with one agency and decrease with another both for what appears to be the same transaction. My score dropped across all three 10-15 points last year when I paid off a 5 year RV loan 4 years early. I understand that it can be frustrating but don't obsess over it. Your scores will recover fairly quickly. The ups and downs of monthly scores is not what is important. What is important is consistent, steady growth over the years.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think if I'm headed in the right direction DFS reports as an installment loan. Questions, does it show installment as the account type on your report, do you have any other loans reporting still open with monthly payments like a mortgage or car loan or personal loan? 

PS you'll bounce back each drop is temporary unless something drastic happens like late payments.

Message 3 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I can understand how you feel when you see a big drop like that. Today i got an alert from myfico that my TU dropped 11 points, was at 700,yeah!, now at 689, nay!. I was like WHAT???. I went straight to my TU account searching for what had happened. At first glance everything looked the same. But then i noticed where i used to have 20 accounts including 1 closed i now have 19 . Still couldnt find what changed.
Did a quick calc on all my accounts i currently have check check,etc. Then i decided to do a comparison report , one from today and ine like a week ago and bingo, i found it. I had a closed Fingerhut account that i opened in 2000 but closed in july 2006. Must have fallen off my report and caused the big drop. Ill just have to trust everyone here that itll bounce back as my accounts continue to age. Dont know if this helps but like i said i feel yaSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

11 points is a small change.  If you're going to obsess over the numbers then set a much higher threshold.  I'd suggest at least 20 points.  Better yet, focus on the data in your reports.

@dyneemo wrote:

What is the point in paying off credit if it lowers your score?

Your assumption is oversimplified for one thing.  You're also possibly assuming that paying it off was the only change that impacted your score.  Don't just assume that all debts are assessed the same.  I'm not saying that your Dell account was an installment -- I have no idea if it was or not -- but, for example, there is generally a bit of a score dip when paying off one's only active installment.  Definitely read up and educate yourself on how credit is assessed and scored.  The loss of the benefit to Credit Mix is a fairly common topic around here.  Don't overlook existing threads as a resource in educating yourself.

For understanding FICO scoring, start here:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

This does not cover everything.  It is just a starting point.  Also don't overlook the Understanding FICO Scoring subforum and its stickies.

The "point" isn't just about score.  Score is certainly a consideration but your overall financial health matters more than just score.  There can certainly be sitautions where score is negatively impacted but the overall benefit to one's financial situation is greater.  Don't assume that increasing your score is ever the only point.

EDIT: From quick Googling it looks like DFS consumer accounts are probably revolving accounts.

@dyneemo wrote:

I have other credit card accounts that I have paid down to $0 as well (they are all still opened) but you'd think that if you pay off an account that is closed, you'd get an increased score.

I don't think that.  Don't conflate "you" and "I".  People that aren't familiar with credit seem to tend to assume that.  Again, credit isn't quite as simple and straightforward as you're assuming.

In addition to what I said above about installments and Credit Mix it is widely known and frequently discussed around here that there is a scoring penalty for having all of your revolving accounts (credit cards are revolving accounts) report 0 balances.  These are just a couple of examples but there could be even more at play with your current situation.  We don't have enough information to say.

If you really want to understand the reason(s) for any scoring change you can't just look at scores.  You have to carefully review reports from before and after the scoring change to determine the cause(s).  If you can provide enough info we can tell you why your score changed but, again, fretting over 11 points is a bit much.  Your scores will fluctuate a bit just from normal usage and you'll drive yourself crazy sweating over constant small changes like that.

@dyneemo wrote:

Also, I've noticed that when I pay a larger amount on a credit card and the balance lowers, my score does too. Sometimes if I charge on a card, my score goes up?? I don't understand this.

You're assuming causality without carefully reviewing your reports.  It's not simply about balance or when you pay.  It's about revolving utilization (balance[s]/limit[s]) and when those changes report.  Your accounts do not immediately report.  They typically report once a month on their usual report dates.  If you're aware of those report dates and how long it usually takes the CRA's to update after your creditors report then you might be able to better understand how revolving utilization changes are impacting your scores.

On top of all that, scores aren't impacted only by revolving utilization.  Revolving utilization does have a significant impact but it is just one thing that falls under Amounts Owed in the link I provided above.  There are other factors that all matter as well.  A significant enough reduction in revolving utilization will improve your scores as long as there aren't other factors with a bigger negative scoring impact.  The opposite is true as well.  If revolving utilization significiantly increases you'll see a drop in score as long as there aren't other factors with a bigger positive scoring impact.  Again, though, you need to be sure that those balances have reported before just assuming that score changes are due to balance changes.

On top of all that you have at least a 90 day late on your reports if not other derogs.  If you have derogs on your reports those will have an impact on how your report data is evaluated.  Definitely hit the Rebuilding subforum and carefully research to see if you can do anything to address the derogs.  You want your reports to be totally clean with 100% positive Payment History as it is the biggest factor for FICO.

You need to do whatever it takes to avoid derogs going forward.  A 90 late is very late and indicates that your monitoring of your accounts is not sufficient.  With proper monitoring you should have caught this before it was even a 30 day late.  Make sure you're actively monitoring all open accounts.  If you are using autopay that's great but that's not a substitute for monitoring your accounts.

Don't just look at scores to understand how changes impact your scores.  Look at your report data.

@dyneemo wrote:

The account was closed (by me) at that time; I still had a balance due.

Be very careful closing revolving accounts with balances.  They can report as maxed.

@Berk wrote:

Ah, yes, the question everyone wants an answer to. The experts will tell you that there is no one simple answer for this due to the complexities of scoring algorithms and that there is generally more than just that singe tranaction that goes into determining our score even though all we can see is the single transaction.

We're not saying it's impossible to determine the causes.  We're jsut saying that it takes much more than just looking at scores to determine these things.

Any score is generated based on the data in a report.  That's why careful review of reports is required.   If you have one score and the report it was generated from and you have another score and the report it was generated from then the differences in the report data will tell you why the scores were different.  Of course, that assumes that the scoring model is the same.  You cannot compare score generated by different scoring models as they evaluate report data differently and can have different scoring ranges.

@Berk wrote:

However, one point on which there seems to be consensus is that once the loan is paid off that limit is no longer reflected on your report, thus potentially affecting your overal utilization.

Utilization is generally used to mean revolving utilization which only considers revolving accounts. There's a similar thing for installments, balance to loan ratio but that doesn't have the same impact as revolving utilization. As I mentioned above, it doesn't look like a DFS account is an installment from what I can tell but I didn't spend much time looking into it.  The OP can research this as the OP will want the understanding.

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I can understand how you feel when you see a big drop like that. Today i got an alert from myfico that my TU dropped 11 points, was at 700,yeah!, now at 689, nay!. I was like WHAT???. I went straight to my TU account searching for what had happened.

I know you didn't but one cannot rely solely on myFICO alerts either.  That's because myFICO is a trigger based service.

http://myfico.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/463/~/understanding-what-triggers-fico%C2%AE-3-bu...

Not all changes with a scoring impact are triggers.  So it's not uncommon for the trigger activty to not be the cause (or one of the causes) or a major cause of a scoring change.  myFICO and its triggers are also common topics.

Message 5 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

All of the above can be the reasons for scores dropping. Most times it may not even be what you think it is, that causes the rise or drop in score. The whole credit picture factors in, which leaves a lot of opportunity for other items to have an effect on the score all at once.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

so webbank the issuer of dell credit does reports loans as " installment loan" and not a line of credit?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

so webbank the issuer of dell credit does reports loans as " installment loan" and not a line of credit?

Hello HM.  In case you didn't realize it, this thread occured last summer.  So you may not get any of the previous commenters to reply.

Obviously our OP's account must have reported either as revolving or installment.  Since our OP had all his other revolving accounts at $0, then paying this one to $0 would have caused a score hit if it was considered revolving.  Likewise, if it was installment, it sounds like it was our OP's only installment, and he would have taken a hit for paying off his only installment too.

The OP never responded to any of the other people on the thread, so we'll never know for sure how it appeared on his report.

Message 8 of 10
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

FWIW, both EX and EQ report my inactive Webbank/DFS account as a revolver.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the info I appreciate it. I did noticed it was an old thread but it had the most information on the subject I believe some threads are shut down far too fast and still have a lot to offer. thanks again.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.