Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score dropped 31pts...why?

tag
MOMO30
Regular Contributor

Score dropped 31pts...why?

Hi, Today I got an alert from score watch that my ex score went from 628 to 597 I went over both reports nothing new was added I haven't applied for anything so I don't understand if anyone knows how can I find out what happened please let me know that's a big drop and there's nothing different on the two reports from when my score was 628 to now 597
Message Edited by llecs on 07-21-2009 08:04 AM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Score dropped 31pts...why?

MOMO30, I split your post off the other thread within Mortgages to keep that on-topic. I had to edit your subject line. If you'd like to change it to something else, feel free to click "Options" and then "Edit Message".

First off, and this certainly confused me when I first joined: EX or EXP = Experian and EQ or EFX = Equifax. SW offers monitoring service via EQ.

Look over in great detail the before and after reports from EQ. Look for any changes like date changes, balance changes, added red flags, especially look on pages 2 & 3 for changes including stats within those. Look at the Credit-At-A-Glance page for changes in those numbers including any added red flags. Post back if you see anything. I've seen some post drops just because a CO or CA updated w/ a late or changed the reported date or DOLA date. That alone can drop your score by that much.

Message 2 of 7
wndrwmn78
Frequent Contributor

@llecs wrote:

MOMO30, I split your post off the other thread within Mortgages to keep that on-topic. I had to edit your subject line. If you'd like to change it to something else, feel free to click "Options" and then "Edit Message".

First off, and this certainly confused me when I first joined: EX or EXP = Experian and EQ or EFX = Equifax. SW offers monitoring service via EQ.

Look over in great detail the before and after reports from EQ. Look for any changes like date changes, balance changes, added red flags, especially look on pages 2 & 3 for changes including stats within those. Look at the Credit-At-A-Glance page for changes in those numbers including any added red flags. Post back if you see anything. I've seen some post drops just because a CO or CA updated w/ a late or changed the reported date or DOLA date. That alone can drop your score by that much.

An updated DOLA on a collection can drop your score that much? Yikes. I have one $50 medical collection from 2006 that I stupidly tried to dispute online before learning about the correct process, and the DOLA was updated to 2009 when they verified it. I have no idea how much it dropped my score at the time, but it's sure depressing to know that my score could be that much higher right now if I had left it alone! I sure hope I see some of that score come back if I can get it deleted.

Starting Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Current Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Goal Score: 750 both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

Examine your CA accounts, if any, before and after. DOFD, DOLA, A/C status, A/C type fields, Balance, category (collection or other a/cs), open or closed, type of loan, comments, etc..
Message 4 of 7
MOMO30
Regular Contributor

Re: Score dropped 31pts..Away?

Thanks guys I went over all of the dates and a Con Edison account updated on my report i've already dv my next step is to try PFD its only $427. I have no problem paying but I would love for them to delete the account cause by me paying is only going to lower my score once they update on my report thanks guys for the information by the way the CA is Portfolio Recvry if anyone has had any success please let me know.
Message 5 of 7
pattycake
Established Contributor

Check out the Rebuilding Credit Forum and look up how to ask for PFD.  
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 6 of 7
mspiggye
Established Member

I had two accounts in 2004 that went to Portfolio Recovery.  I paid the accounts before I knew what a PFD was. In 07, I started sending GW letters explaining that their reporting on my CR was hurting my score and possibly would keep me from becoming promoted in my job. Both baddies were removed 15 days after they received the letter.

FICO EX- 656 TranU - 687 FAKO -658

WILL BE A MEMBER OF THE 700 CLUB!!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.