cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score dropped 7 points after balance was lowered?

tag
Mario4
New Contributor

Score dropped 7 points after balance was lowered?

I have credit card with a $500 limit. Balance was previously $200.

Score watch reported the balance decreased to 158.  A decrease by 21% according to SW.

That is the only thing being reported. Not sure while my score DECREASED by 7 points. 

Help please! Thank You.

SIDE NOTE: I havent gotten any new inquiries at all..

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Score dropped 7 points after balance was lowered?

What has changed on your report in the last month?

Message 2 of 7
Mario4
New Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

What has changed on your report in the last month?

Well as far as SW goes, it reported the following

-my balance on another card went down by 59% on Feb 17.. score went up by 0 points for that. 

-my balance on another card went down by 98% on Fed 21.. score went up by 0 points for that. 

-my balance on another card went down by 21% on Fed 23.. score went up 2 points for that.

-my balance on another card went down by 42% on Feb 26.. score went up 15 points for that. 

-my balance on another card went down by 59% on Feb 27.. score went up 40 points for that.

this all followed by the most recent SW update of:

--my balance on another card went down by 21% on Mar 03..score dropped by 7 points for that. 

**AS FAR AS NON SCORE WATCH REPORTED INFO GOES***

I think one of my account reached its 2 year anniversary at the end of this February.. but POSSIBLY. one of my hard inquiries just hit their 2 year anniversary..

all of which woudlnt negatively affect my score.. Im so confused.

Message 3 of 7
user5387
Valued Contributor

I don't know what all the lines about "balance went down score went up" mean.

Normally scores are calculated on a monthly basis, and the utilization part of the calculation is based on the balances reported on the CC statement dates.

I don't know how many cards you have, or when they report, but one guess is that your scores are jumping around based on balances updating on your reports.

It's also possible that other events are affecting the score, for example changing account ages and inquiries falling off and AAoA and so on.

Message 4 of 7
Mario4
New Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

I don't know what all the lines about "balance went down score went up" mean.

Normally scores are calculated on a monthly basis, and the utilization part of the calculation is based on the balances reported on the CC statement dates.

I don't know how many cards you have, or when they report, but one guess is that your scores are jumping around based on balances updating on your reports.

It's also possible that other events are affecting the score, for example changing account ages and inquiries falling off and AAoA and so on.

Balance went down meaning I paid off off a certain amount on the card. Understandable, but nothing I have done would lower my score. Makes no sense. 

Message 5 of 7
Involver
Valued Contributor

If your oldest account / AAoA hit a magic number this month you may have been placed in a different scoring cohort (rebucketed) which would have affected your score.

Message 6 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

(nm)
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.