cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score goes down realize when you pay off a collection debt.

tag
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: Score goes down realize when you pay off a collection debt.

I have somewhat recent experience with this. In the process of a mortgage application I was required to pay off an old collection from 02/06. I paid it in 08/10, they updated the account status as paid but put a KD (Key Derogatory) entry in for 08/10. My FICO reports pulled from this site showed a drop in score and the notation that I had a recent collection hurting my score (and the comments said the collection was one month old).

I don't know if the CA notated it wrong and it is due to fall off the reports in 02/13 so I am not willing to play with it anymore. It's effect has fallen into the background somewhat again. I know it is still dragging my score down as it only appears on 2 reports and there is a significant difference in score between the reports it is on and the one it isn't.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 11 of 12
MamboItaliano
Frequent Contributor

Re: Score goes down realize when you pay off a collection debt.

What Marine Vet said makes sense, but the issue I see is that what is being illustrated with both my example and the examples of others here happens more often than it doesn't. Maybe I am wrong there, but I'd say the way it should be is the exception, not the norm.

A question I have would be whether or not the improper affect that these DOLA updates have is covered by FCRA at all and, therefore, could be enforced.  

Re-entered the garden on 9/16/2013.

Starting Score: (TU) 517 (EQ) 469 (EX) 519 (6/1/2010)
Current Score: (TU98) 714 (TU04) 712 (EQ Beacon 5.0) 672 (EX -FICO v2) 724 (6/13/13)
Goal Score: 700 Club for all 3 (2 out of 3 so far)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.