Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score jump ?

tag
scoreclimber
Established Member

Score jump ?

I have a balance of about $700 on 4 different credit cards.  All four are at 50% or less util.  Next month I will pay them to 30%, then in December to <10%.  (I may pay 2 of them off in that time).  My question is how much do you think this will help my scores?  My scores are currently:

TU 616
EX 601
EQ
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
scoreclimber
Established Member

Re: Score jump ?

Sorry - accidentally hit send.

EQ Fico is 570.

Do you think it's reasonable that all my scores will hit 620 (the magic mortgage number) by January?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMO, it could....maybe. I know that's ambiguous, but you've got a long haul ahead of you on the EQ(not meaning to discourage you).

Also keep in mind it may take 30-45 days for the OC's to fully update your CR.(correct me if I'm wrong anybody).

With the low EQ score, could there perhaps be a 'baddie' on your CR that you aren't aware of? Like a collection going back a long way? Any late pays?

You are certainly doing a good job in working down the util's. The quicker you can work them down, the more likelihood of your scores increasing.

If you have not pulled a CR recently, I'd suggest you do so, and analyze very carefully, to see if you can spot any 'baddies' that you can be working on now, and get them removed, if they exist.

Good luck to you. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 6
scoreclimber
Established Member

Thanks for your response.  I have pulled all 3 CRs and I do have multiple lates reported (mostly valid, I'm working on the ones that aren't).  My last late was in 6/07, so by January that will be more than 6 months old which should also help.  I know the lates stay on for 7 years and I certainly don't expect to get really high scores until they age off.  I have no collections, liens, BKs, etc.  It's all lates and util pulling my score down.  Right now I'm focusing on keeping everything current and paying down the util, and seeing my score gradually rise over time.  We are planning to buy a new house next Spring, which is why I'm hoping to at least get all 3 scores to 620 by the time we apply for a mortgage.  It will more than likely be March until we seriously start looking at houses, but we may see a mortgage broker after the new year just to see our options.  All other factors will be great for a mortgage (DTI, down payment, LTV, time at jobs and current house), I'm just trying to get my score up as much as possible so it doesn't hurt us too much on the rate. 

Sorry - probably more info than you wanted to know Smiley Happy.  Thanks again for your thoughts.  I'll keep plugging away! 
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

No no. More info is better than not enough. Thank you. Smiley Happy

Do you have any old baddies that are over 6 months old? If so, you could start writing goodwill letters....the older the baddie the better, imo. And now is the time to start writing.
Message 5 of 6
ozgirl
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
No no. More info is better than not enough. Thank you. Smiley Happy

Do you have any old baddies that are over 6 months old? If so, you could start writing goodwill letters....the older the baddie the better, imo. And now is the time to start writing.

When you try to get lates removed do you specify the dates or just go all out and ask for it all, or do you leave that "open" and see what the creditor will do for you?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.