Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score question

I applied for a discover it and received it last week. They pulled equifax. I got an alert today that they added the account to my reports. Equifax dropped 4 points, but experian didn't lose any points. My question is, did equifax lose the points because that was the report they pulled when I applied, or should I expect experian to eventually drop as well?

Thank you😊
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Score question

Most likely the 4pts lost was due to the inquiry. If they only pulled Equifax then I wouldn't worry about the other two bureaus.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It said a new account was added and it dropped 4 points. I already lost points when they first made the inquiry, so this is new.

Thanks😉
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well the pt drop may then be from a decrease of average account age due to the new account. Just because it dropped on Equifax doesn't mean the same will hold true for Experian and Transunion, you will have to just wait and see what happens. You should gain back those lost 4 pts on Equifax in no time.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I did just pay half of my den off today, and I was at 29%util. Hopefully I will get some more points for that.

Thanks
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt not den
Message 6 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
It said a new account was added and it dropped 4 points. I already lost points when they first made the inquiry, so this is new.

Thanks😉

Scoring looks at both new inquiries and new credit being added to your profile.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you☺️
Message 8 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My question is, did equifax lose the points because that was the report they pulled when I applied, or should I expect experian to eventually drop as well?😊

I think you answered this question above when you said your score dropped on applying and that this was a new drop.  Experian may drop as well when it updated.  THe CRA's do not necessarily update at exactly the same time.  Some may take longer than others.

To understand the cause(s) for any scoring change you really have to review reports before and after the change.  Do not rely solely on alerts.  Make sure you understand the triggers for the alerts versus the factors that impact scoring.  The triggers do not cover all activity that has a scoring impact.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to print my report. Thank you!😊
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.