Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score watch Equifax new model

tag
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

Score watch Equifax new model

Today i got email from MyFICO that my Score Watch product has been upgraded to new Equifax model but shockingly it took off 16 points and dropped me down to 646 for nothing. No new information posted on my credit. I had been receiving beacon 5.0 score of 662 till this morning. Did this happen to anyone else? 

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
racer-x
Valued Contributor

Re: Score watch Equifax new model

No such email on my end.   However, just last week, I went from a myfico EQ 693 to 734 in a matter of 8 days.

A few things changed...2 accts reporting $0 balance after reporting small $5-10 balances.  2 new AMEX accts reported.  Utilization dropped from 14 to 13%.

All that doesn't constitute a 41 pt increase IMO.....Score is now down to 727 for some reason.

Message 2 of 12
myesha87
Contributor

Yes this happened to me I went down 4 points for no reason at all.

Message 3 of 12
duckster
Contributor

I received an e-mail about a credit score change, but mine went up 3 points.

My Wallet: Lowes $17k - Cap 1 Venture $10k - Amex Costco $9500 -Barclay's Arrival $8300 - Discover $6500 - Walmart $6000 - OSUFCU $5000 - VS $750.

Scores: TU (Walmart) 727 - EQ (FICO) 697 - EX 731
Message 4 of 12
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

Today I applied for mortgage with another lender and they pulled Equifax beacon 5.0 and my score there is still 662. I had been a Score Watch subscriber now more than a year and had been getting beacon 5.0 score and report till when i received the email of upgrade and 16 points down. Now Equifax beacon 9.0 or whatever is showing 646 here. I read online new version give more weight on high balances. I have few high balances on few cards. May be if i pay them down it will improve.

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 5 of 12
onelilviper

yes , I got my updated score about 2 weeks ago and to my surprise my score went up about 40 points...from 591 to 634 Smiley Surprised.

I am trying to rebuild my credit for a mortgage and now I am wondering if lenders are pulling this new version or still the BEACON 5.0. If they aren't then scorewatch is kinda useless now because my beacon 5 is so much lower, it will be hard to tell when my lender pull scores are going up .

Message 6 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@onelilviper wrote:

yes , I got my updated score about 2 weeks ago and to my surprise my score went up about 40 points...from 591 to 634 Smiley Surprised.

I am trying to rebuild my credit for a mortgage and now I am wondering if lenders are pulling this new version or still the BEACON 5.0. If they aren't then scorewatch is kinda useless now because my beacon 5 is so much lower, it will be hard to tell when my lender pull scores are going up .

Mortgage lenders are still going to be Beacon 5.0 typically; until the secondary market (GSE's) or the insurers (FHA) mandate differently, it's what is going to be used in the majority of cases.

sghosh: why didn't you pretty up your report pre-mortgage app anyway? Smiley Happy  You know that high balances aren't your friend from a FICO perspective!  It might not be weighed the same as under FICO 8 but it's still a non-trivial penalty especially depending on what tier boundaries your lender has.

        
Message 7 of 12
Cynthianna

Mine dropped 45 points with the new model!!! No lates in 5 years, and I opened one new store credit card (Marshalls) the same day, and Pier 1 2 months ago. Never carry a balance to statement date; however, I utilize credit during month and then pay in full. I am disgusted to see the drop from 685 to 640! I was about to get a commercial dump truck loan with the 685 at 6% interest, now my chance is ruined for a loan at all! This is so annoying! My income is well into the six figures, and I pay everything on time. My sister is on SSI, and she has an 850! What the heck?

Message 8 of 12
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Cynthianna wrote:

Mine dropped 45 points with the new model!!! No lates in 5 years, and I opened one new store credit card (Marshalls) the same day, and Pier 1 2 months ago. Never carry a balance to statement date; however, I utilize credit during month and then pay in full. I am disgusted to see the drop from 685 to 640! I was about to get a commercial dump truck loan with the 685 at 6% interest, now my chance is ruined for a loan at all! This is so annoying! My income is well into the six figures, and I pay everything on time. My sister is on SSI, and she has an 850! What the heck?

Not neccesarily, if your loan pulls an eq 04 score which was the old score you would still have an 685 score, unless something drastically has changed on your credit report. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 12
user5387
Valued Contributor

@Cynthianna wrote:

Welcome to the forums!

The differences in the new model are described here:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/questions/fico8.aspx

One thing to note is that if you let high balances report before you PIF, these balances will factor into your utilization scoring, and may hurt you.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.